God’s Promises: The Women Anointing Jesus

10:30 AM


Jesus knew that he would die as the sacrificial lamb for the sins of the world. But he also knew that God would resurrect Him from the dead. He began to tell his followers of what would come to pass. 

“From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.” Matthew‬ ‭16:21‬ ‭


It became common knowledge that Jesus had foretold his death and resurrection which is why a gaurd and stone were placed at the tomb. I love that it would be the female followers of Jesus who would become the great first witnesses of this supernatural event. They had such love and devotion to Jesus that they got up before dawn to carry spices to the tomb. I wonder if they pondered these prophetical words and promises. But, even if they did, it was obvious they struggled to fully hope for they were certainly taken by surprise to find an empty tomb and to fully grasp that their beloved Savior yet lived. And yet, once they understood, they were eager to obey and they took action to share the news. 


We too, as women of faith, have had a personal encounter with the risen Savior. We have been included in this redemptive promise of God:

“because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans‬ ‭10:9‬ ‭


 And this promise also personally disclosed to a devoted female follower. “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” John‬ ‭11:25-27‬ ‭


The women who went to the tomb that day knew Jesus in an intimate way and were grieved to be separated from Him and overjoyed to see Him again. The closer our relationship with Jesus, the more that becomes our experience as well. We should grow to treasure our connection to Him and long to be with Him in heaven. We should rejoice in the comfort of His promises to prepare us a heavenly home and return for us someday.


“For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."”‭‭John‬ ‭6:38-40‬ ‭


“"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.”

‭‭John‬ ‭14:18-19‬ ‭


These promises are worth celebrating! What an honor that Jesus included women in sharing the most important news ever proclaimed: Our Beloved Savior Lives! Just like the women at the tomb that day, we can play a vital role in being witnesses of the resurrection power of Christ. 


“For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!"”

‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:13-15‬ ‭


The women at the tomb that day had beautiful feet and the news they shared would impact souls around the globe and extend into the future to impact you and I. May we also have beautiful feet that share with others the abundant, life giving promises of God.

You Might Also Like

0 comments