God’s Promises: Lois and Eunice

10:30 AM



When God blesses us with children and grandchildren, he also gives to us a sacred responsibility. He entrusts us, as the adults, to be an example to the young and He expects that we will provide for their well-being: physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. He loves every child born on this Earth and He longs for our children to learn of Him and know of His love and goodness from a young age. That is why He gave clear instructions to His people long, long ago.

I believe that Lois and Eunice were vital links in a long chain of generations that took this responsibility seriously and reaped its promises.  Their faith was described by Paul as “ a sincere faith”. That means it wasn’t just their words that instructed and influenced young Timothy but their lived out daily actions. I’m sure these Scriptures were familiar to them:


“Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”  Proverbs‬ ‭22:6‬ ‭


“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.”  Deuteronomy‬ ‭6:5-7‬ ‭


“For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭44:3‬ ‭


I was fortunate to be raised from a young age to know Scripture and to be taught about God’s love. My grandmother, in particular, was a strong influence in my life because she exemplified a steadfast faith. I was blessed that prior generations imprinted the Scriptures on my heart and so this instruction and promise has become important in encouraging me to continue persevering in my faith and sharing my faith with future generations.


“But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:14-17‬ ‭


As a parent, I have tried to impress upon my children the importance of being a child of God. I have enjoyed every milestone my children have reached through the years. Just like most parents, we have celebrated the important milestones. But, I can honestly say, that in my heart, I celebrated the most when they proclaimed their personal trust in Christ as their Savior. Now, I have peace that wherever they go and whatever comes their way, God is their security and guide. 


But what if you didn’t get the opportunity to train up your children in Christ? Or what if they have decided to go their own way? Well, that is when you have to pray and be responsive to God to have influence now as He guides. You can still be an influence in their lives and an example of Christ’s love. 


“Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” Colossians‬ ‭2:6-7‬ ‭


I pray for my children faithfully. I know that this life will bring many snares and trials their way and I want God to guide their every step. And I pray for their future children. I also pray for others in my extended family and their children who don’t know Christ. God can redeem any situation, any life. Prayers for others salvation is in keeping with His will:

“who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” 1Timothy‬ ‭2:4‬


Just as Lois and Eunice were sincere women of faith, I hope that you will also be faithful to influence future generations through prayer, example, and trust. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments