Priorities: Choose the Good Part (Luke 10:38-42)

12:00 AM



Please read: Luke 10:38-42

As we read these verses from Luke we find two young sisters, that although they had the same up-bringing they had very different perspectives of life.

Martha wanted to serve and please Jesus, as she diligently worked around the house preparing supper. To her, this was a priority. But she became anxious and even irritable as she saw her sister sitting at Jesus’ feet, criticizing her for not helping in her tasks. But Martha’s real problem wasn’t Mary; it was Martha. She had become distracted and had taken her eyes off Jesus.

“Martha’s frustration is typical of those who diligently serve with good intent, but forget to also sit at Jesus’ feet. “The Martha spirit says, if the work is done, is not that all? The Mary spirit asks whether Jesus is well pleased or not? All must be done in his name and by his Spirit, or nothing is done.” (Spurgeon)



Then Jesus said: ““Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered and anxious about so many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary,... .” (10:41-42a)

Yes, in this life only one thing is necessary:

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that I will seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple.” (Psalm 27:4 emphasis mine)

“When Jesus heard these things, he said to him, “You still lack one thing…come, follow Me.” (Luke 18:22 emphasis mine).

When I first accepted Jesus as my personal Savior, I was a single young woman about to graduate from the University. I had two part time jobs, between my classes, so it was extremely difficult to “squeeze” in my schedule my Bible classes! But you know what?  I knew deep in my heart that as a child of God I needed to know HIM…to nourish myself from His Word, that I could no longer live my life without Him nor His Truths!  The more I learned about God and His Word, the more I needed of Him!

As we continue reading in verse 42, we find that Mary chose the good part, which would not be taken away from her (10:42b). I sadly have to confess that in one way or another I’ve exchanged “the good part”, for life’s busyness which have distracted me and made me anxious like Martha! There are times when my weary heart yearns for me to sit at His feet like Mary in wholly surrender and focus on Jesus!


If you like me have been in this situation, I invite you join me as we reflect on the following words from Spurgeon, and choose the good part at His feet:

 “Imagine not that to sit at Jesus’ feet is a very small, unmeaning thing.
- It means peace, for they who submit to Jesus find peace through his precious, blood.
- It means holiness, for those who learn of Jesus learn no sin, but are instructed in things lovely and of good repute.
-It means strength, for they that sit with Jesus, and feed upon him, are girded with his, strength; the joy of the Lord is their strength.
- It means wisdom, for they that learn of the Son of God understand more than the ancients, because they keep his statutes.
-It means zeal, for the love of Christ fires hearts that live upon it, and they that are much with Jesus become like Jesus, so that the zeal of the Lord’s house eats them up.” (Spurgeon)

Yes Lord, I always want to sit at your feet, may nothing distract me from this ONE precious thing!!

Blessings,

Mari




You Might Also Like

0 comments