Committed to Worship ~ Psalm 132

6:00 AM



Today's Scripture: Psalm 132
 Hebrews 5:7-10 and Rev 21:1-4 again

Psalm 132:7
Before I share the message God wanted me to share today, I wanted to give you a bit of information I learned about Psalm 132. 

Jewish tradition teaches us that this is the psalm that was used for the dedication of the temple, and so it was used by the pilgrims as they arrived in Jerusalem. 
What is neat about this psalm is that it offers two promises: one human, one divine. It begins recalling King David’s determination that he would not be content until a lasting place was established as a “dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob” (v. 5). This is a reference to David’s promise to God and Israel that he was going to build a temple for the Lord. The divine promise is found at the end of the psalm where God promises an oath that a descendant of David would always sit on his throne.

The beauty of this promise stretches from Genesis to Revelation, and conveys that all God’s promises are fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Through Jesus, God has come to dwell in and with His people forever. We have been made priests of our God – clothed in salvation, richly provided for. Just how cool is that?

The human promise is what grabbed my attention. 

Lord, remember David
and all his self-denial. He swore an oath to the Lord, he made a vow to the Mighty One of  Jacob:
“I will not enter my house
or go to my bed,

I will allow no sleep to my eyes
or slumber to my eyelids,

till I find a place for the Lord,
a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.”
- Psalm 132:1-5

I had to wonder just how our passion for God measures up to David's. 
_ Are we currently hungering and thirsting after God as the Bread of Life and Living Water?
_ Are we more concerned about our own name, or the Lord's?
_ Are we as passionate as David towards His church, be it the building or His people?

What made David really great was not his possessions (the wealth and riches), nor his position (anointed as King), nor his privilege, or power (as ruler of a great empire) but his PASSION - his passion for God has been remembered through the centuries.

David lived for God’s glory. He was not a perfect man, but was quick to repent when he sinned and was willing to confess when he failed. The psalms reveal the heart of a man who is passionate to know and glorify God. 

_ If you had to rate your passion for God, and all He is most passionate about on a scale of 1-10 how passionate are you towards your time with God?

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 -7 - 8 - 9 - 10

I'd say David was a 10. 

If we truly want to be a woman described as “a woman after God’s own heart", then we truly need to give our heart completely to the Lord; to love what He loves, hate what He hates, hurt when He hurts, and rejoice over what He rejoices over!

I've come up with 5 ways I believe we can truly become more like David and become women after God's own heart. 

1.) A heart for God begins with our focus on Almighty God.

“fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:2).

It means allowing faith in God to flourish and living humbly before the Him.

  • _Spend time in prayer.

  • _Spend time in God’s word, and walking in obedience to His word.

  • _Spend time quietly in His presence and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you in the stillness of the moment.

  • _Take your eyes off the situation that may be troubling you and give it to the Lord.

2.) A heart for God begins by recalling the times God has blessed you in the past.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, This verse tells us to not forget all the benefits of God." (Psalm 103:2)

Remember the times when:

  • God had answered your prayers.
  • God had worked in your life.
  • God had blessed you or opened a door of opportunity.
  • God had spoken to you through others or in a sermon.
  • God had opened your spiritual eyes and led you to Him.
  • You experienced a peace in your soul and knew that all would be OK during the storms of life.

3.) A heart for God begins by developing a reverence and awe of who God is, and all He has done for you.

"And a voice came from the throne, saying,“Give praise to our God, all you His bond-servants, you who fear Him, the small and the great.” (Revelation 19:5)

Know with certainty that God is Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent and there is nothing that is impossible for God.

4.) A heart for God begins with trusting God with your battles.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging... He says, “Be still, and know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”The Lord Almighty is with us; 
the God of Jacob is our fortress. "(Psalm 46:1-2, 10,11)

5.) A heart for God begins with trusting God with the Timing & Direction in your life.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”’ (Jeremiah 29:11-14).

 If you need wisdom and direction in this area I want to encourage you to visit my post on Psalm 77 - Recipe for Relief  and copy my recipe for seeking God's wisdom when uncertain about different things. 

Once more I feel as though I've given you a teaspoon out of the ocean of God wisdom, but the greatest part of all of this is - This is God's will for your life as well! And knowing that, we know He is ready to help!

O Lord, give us a passion for You above all else. Amen

Blessings, 

sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments