The Surrendered Life (1 Peter 2)

12:30 PM






















Reading for today:  1 Peter 2

The Christian life is a life of surrender. Simply put, God asks us to come to Him willingly and then allow Him to use our surrendered lives for a higher purpose. Each life is important, a building block that He uniquely places for overall value and purpose. The foundational cornerstone that our lives rest on and take strength from is Jesus. “As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” (v4-5).

We are not a single, inconsequential, mere human but part of a bigger whole with great purpose.
“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” (v9)
What an honor to be part of a holy kingdom, but we have to remember that this kingdom is not of this world and that means that a surrendered life is not always easy. We are called “sojourners” and “exiles” (v11). The world will often reject us, not understand us, and perhaps even persecute us. But, God asks us to represent Him.

I remember at my place of employment being trained regarding customer service and being asked to be mindful that when on duty, I represented that employer. The expectation was that no matter how I felt that day, or what might be going on in my personal life, that ultimately I would focus on providing excellent customer service, with a smile and an attitude of professionalism. I am certainly mindful of that but even more importantly, I am mindful that I represent Christ. Many of my patients are grateful, kind, and a joy to serve. But, many of my patients are also challenging to care for because they are not appreciative, and can be agitated, combative or just spiteful and rude. 

It can be hard not to take the difficult or unfair behaviors of others personally.  But, that is how we represent Christ.  “For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps” (v20-21).  
How did Christ respond to the unjust treatment of others? “When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly” (v23). Christ surrendered his all in obedience to God, trusting that God was ultimately in control, and trusting that God would judge in His way and in His time. He kept his focus on a heavenly kingdom and he represented the love of God to a sinful world.  

Do you believe that your life choices matter, including your responses to what seems just and unjust? Do you trust that God is in control and the One who judges justly? Do you want to represent Christ well to a world desperately in need of Him? 

“All to Jesus I surrender
All to Him I freely give
I will ever love and trust Him
In His presence daily live
All to Jesus I surrender
Humbly at His feet I bow
Worldly pleasures all forsaken
Take me Jesus take me now”


You Might Also Like

0 comments