Recipe for Relief When Overwhelmed ~ Psalm 77

9:00 AM

Today's Scriptures: Psalm 77 & John 16:33




Have you ever felt so overwhelmed in your circumstances that you've been tempted to give up hope? The distress seemed so intense that you find you cannot sleep. Rather than sleep, you spend your time praying, yet even in your time of prayer, you cannot rest, or be comforted. This is where we find the psalmist just now. 

This psalm is a lament; it’s a cry of desperation to God. There is probably no stronger expression of fear and anxiety anywhere than in these opening lines of Psalm 77,
 "I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, and He will hear me. In my day of trouble I sought the Lord. My hands were lifted up all night long; I refused to be comforted. I think of God; I groan; I meditate; my spirit becomes weak." (v.1-2)

Have you ever found yourself wondering,
“Will the Lord reject forever?
    Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
    Has his promise failed for all time?
Has God forgotten to be merciful?
    Has he in anger withheld his compassion?” (v.7-9)

I have a time or two, and I'm thankful to know that these very thoughts are also found in God's word, but also in this psalm we find the beginning of a "recipe for relief" from your distress as well. It begins in verse 10 with the word, "then".

Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
    the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
    yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. (v.10-11)

It all begins by recalling Who you are looking to! 

I know, for me, when I'm distressed what helps most, outside of being delivered from the circumstances, is to discover God's perspective in all of it! I know when I do, even though the circumstances don't change at that moment, my whole perspective does! And I'm able to sit tight and wait on God to act. I thought I'd share the recipe I've discovered to hear from God. 

1.) Fasting always adds an exclamation point to let God know how serious you are, but is optional. 
2.) Humble ourselves  in a posture of humility by recalling Who God is and all He has done in the past. 
Your ways, God, are holy.
    What god is as great as our God?
14 You are the God who performs miracles;
    you display your power among the peoples.
15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people, (v.13-15)
3.) Begin with confession. Confessing everything that comes to mind. Pray and ask God
  •  If there is anything you’ve failed to do and should have done, 
  • Or if there is anything you did and shouldn’t have. 
  • Confess any thoughts, attitudes, etc. that are not pleasing to Him.
  • Confess anything you’ve been feeling guilty about lately.
4.) Surrender your desires, your wishes, or whatever you're seeking His help with. Become wholly surrendered to Him.
5.) Then begin to pray; seeking answers, His perspective by asking questions (James 1:5-6)
6.) Sit in silence before Him listening to any promptings.
7.) Read His word if the Holy Spirit prompts you, but give Him time.
8.) Finally, if you've done all the above, and still haven't received any answers, seek godly council from others. 

I can honestly say that God has never failed to answer when I've come to Him in this way. Never failed to answer!  However, the answers have come at different times and in different ways, but I have always known without a doubt it was the answer I was seeking. 

And most importantly, even though the circumstances haven't changed, only my perspective, I gain the peace I need at that moment to wait on Him to deliver me from the circumstances however He chooses. 

I pray you will cut, copy and save this formula in your journal or Bible to use the next time you are seeking wisdom in the midst of your difficulties. 

Let's pray:
Heavenly Father, You are just in Your dealings with us. Holy and righteous in all You do. Father, we are so thankful we can trust You at all times, even when we don't fully understand the reasons and circumstances around us. I pray we will always remember that when those times come where we are feeling overwhelmed as though the waves will take us down, we can run to You. Cry out to You, knowing You will not only hear our cries, but answer us when we call upon You. May You be the first one we turn to always for answers and relief in the midst of our trials. Amen. 

Blessings,

Sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments