Our Rock and Our Great Strength- Psalm 144, 2 Corinthians 5:21

6:00 PM

Today’s reading: Psalm 144, 2 Corinthians 5:21

It is believed that this psalm was written by David after he was recognized as King of Israel.  He praises God with thankfulness, bringing to memory all the years of persecution and battles he had to endure to fulfill God’s purpose to govern His people!  (2 Samuel 5:1-5)  

 Blessed be the Lord, my Rock and my great strength,Who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle; My [steadfast] lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my rescuer, My shield and He in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me.” (144:1-2)

David was amazed that God would have set His eyes on him for such a great responsibility, and humbly recognizes it was God who protected and saved his life from his enemies throughout all those years, for a time like this:

Lord, what is man that You take notice of him? Or the son of man that You think of him? Man is like a mere breath; His days are like a shadow that passes away.”  (144:3-4)

As Christians we also have to encounter many challenges and fight spiritual battles (Eph. 6.12) in order to fulfill God’s purpose in our lives, but just as David, we must also acknowledge Who is for us, and that through our Lord’s Jesus Sacrifice we are overcomers! We too can praise our God for His continual care and protection over our lives!


“The Lord thinks much of man, and in connection with redeeming love makes a great figure of him: this can be believed, but it cannot be explained.” (Spurgeon)

Yes, He loves us so much and it is so difficult for us to understand this, and even to explain it! Although our lives may continue to drift from battles to victories, we like David can be assured He will never leave us nor forsake us! We are so privileged to have His Word and His Holy Spirit which help us and empower us when we faint or want to give up!

“26 In the same way the Spirit [comes to us and] helps us in our weakness. We do not know what prayer to offer or how to offer it as we should, but the Spirit Himself [knows our need and at the right time] intercedes on our behalf with sighs and groanings too deep for words. 27 And He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because the Spirit intercedes [before God] on behalf of [c]God’s people in accordance with God’s will. 28 And we know [with great confidence] that God [who is deeply concerned about us] causes all things to work together [as a plan] for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to His plan and purpose. “(Romans 8:26-28)

In the next verses (v. 5-8) David realized the great challenge it was to preserve his kingdom in the midst of all his enemies, so he cries out to the Lord for protection….Then as he remembers God’s faithfulness in the past, he praises God with thankfulness:

 

I will sing a new song to You, O God; Upon a harp of ten strings I will sing praises to You,10 Who gives salvation to kings, Who sets David His servant free from the evil sword.” (v.9-10)

 

It never ceases to amaze me David’s boldness, faith and trust as he directs his prayer and praise to the Lord! No wonder he was considered a man after God’s own heart!

 

Finally David prays for blessings for God’s people, now under his government. (v.12-15).

That they would be blessed:

· With children in their homes.

· Blessed in the work of their hands.

· Blessed with safety and peace in their city.

But in the last verse of this psalm, David then realizes something more important than what he previously prayed for:
“How blessed and favored are the people in such circumstance; How blessed [fortunate, prosperous, and favored] are the people whose God is the Lord!”

“Happy are the people that are in such a case; those are blessed that prosper in the world. But he immediately corrects himself: Yea, rather, happy are the people whose God is the Lord, who have his favour, and love, and grace, according to the tenour of the covenant, though they have not abundance of this world's goods. As all this, and much more, cannot make us happy, unless the Lord be our God, so, if he be, the want of this, the loss of this, nay, the reverse of this, cannot make us miserable.” (Matthew Henry)

Yes, what is the case of having prosperity and other material goods if we do not have God reigning in our lives? (Matt. 6:25, 33)

There are still so many people around us longing and holding on to material things, making these a purpose for their lives, but they don’t’ want to realize how much they lose out!

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to follow Me [as My disciple], he must deny himself [set aside selfish interests], and take up his cross [expressing a willingness to endure whatever may come] and follow Me [believing in Me, conforming to My example in living and, if need be, suffering or perhaps dying because of faith in Me]. 25 For whoever wishes to save his life [in this world] will [eventually] lose it [through death], but whoever loses his life [in this world] for My sake will find it [that is, life with Me for all eternity]. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world [wealth, fame, success], but forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?" (Matt. 16:24-26)

Heavenly Father: I humbly come to You offering my love and praise, for You have been my Rock and my Strength throughout all the days of my life! May I continue to grow in faith and trusting You more and more each day! May one day I too can become a woman  after your own Heart, my dear Lord! Thank you for rescuing me and setting me free from my sins and giving me a new life in Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior! I pray for my family and friends: ________; who are still lost…. Wandering like sheep without a pastor! They might have many material possessions and be blinded by them, but they do not have You in their lives!  May the eyes of their hearts be opened, that they may repent and receive Your Salvation, through Jesus’ Saving Grace. In Jesus’ name  we pray. Amen!

Mari


 


You Might Also Like

0 comments