Scripture Saturday ~ "Becoming A Woman After God's Own Heart - A Journey Through The Psalms"

11:00 PM

 


Welcome to Scripture Saturday!

But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me. (Psalm 131:2)


Knowing that God is always present- always with me shows me that because He is unchanging and fully committed to me, my soul can rest in contentment and peace.


When reading Psalm 131 I paused at verse 2 verse and wondered, “Am I like a weaned child?” I really thought about this for a while. 


What does it mean not to be weaned? A child not yet weaned looks to his mother for food and immediate satisfaction. This is the world in which we live. Children of the flesh look to those things of the world, its “gifts,” to fill their void, give them happiness, and more often it must come to them immediately. Their contentment and happiness come from their circumstances.


What does it mean to be weaned? Weaned children look to their mother out of a desire for love, closeness, teaching, correcting, comfort, and help when they need it - they desire her PRESENCE. Their need is for their mother herself. Like David, we are God’s “weaned” children.


“Psalm 131 (v.2) is about a kind of contentment, or stillness, or quietness of soul, that is rooted not in circumstances, but in God — a God who never changes in his utter commitment to us in Christ. So I love this truth. I want this experience more and more, the older I get…This is a picture of David’s restfulness, contentment, satisfaction, joy, peace in the secure, loving presence of God. (J.Piper)


God desires our souls to be “calm and quieted.” God desires that we look to Him in all things for heart deep contentment and peace because of Who He is.


Here is this coming week’s schedule of readings…



                  Seeing Jesus/Going beyond God’s attribute(s)

                                that I found in the 

                                     Psalm


Monday 4/17   Psalm 136             Matt 5:44-45

Tuesday 4/18  Psalm 137             John 1:14

Wednesday  4/19                             Psalm 138 & Luke 1:46-55

Thursday 4/20                                     Psalm 139 & John 10:14-16

Friday  4/21                                     Psalm 140 & Prov. 27:5-6



*Knowing that God is _____________ shows me that _________________________________.


Don't forget to share with us the attribute of God that most spoke to you this week!


Here is the link to our study on Facebook...WitW Facebook Page


Have a blessed week everyone!


Sandra


*from Jen Wilkin’s book,  Women of the Word.

You Might Also Like

0 comments