Pressing On {Philippians 3: 12-17}

12:00 AM

Scripture Reading: Philippians 3:12-17


I don't think there is a believer alive today that has suffered for the gospel an much as Paul did two thousand years ago. I believe I would have been inclined to give up and turn back had I had to face even a small amount of all Paul faced in his lifetime; which is why his words here to the Philippian church  inspire me:

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil 3:12-14)

The definition to persevere is to keep on, keep going, not give up, struggle on, hammer away, be persistent, be determined, see/follow something through, keep at it, show determination, press on/ahead, stay with something, not take no for an answer, be tenacious, be pertinacious, be patient, stand one's ground, stand fast/firm, hold on, hold out, go the distance, stay the course, plod on, plow on, grind away, stop at nothing,

What made Paul continue to persevere when most would have given up? I think finding the answer to this question will also help us to keep going the next time we're tempted to quit.  Notice what Paul says, "...I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus"

Paul set a goal before him! Have you set a goal or goals for your life?


A life without any goals I believe would be like a ship without sails, a compass or map; just drifting aimlessly through life hoping to achieve something that would make your life worth living. Notice that not only had the apostle Paul set a goal, but he kept that goal constantly before him! He was pressing toward the mark of the high calling in Christ Jesus! 
I think it is safe to say that by setting a goal(s), we are making a decision to ACT. Our goal could be to be the best wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, teacher, nurse, doctor, etc. 

I remember discovering my son had a learning disability in school and as time went on, he grew further behind his peers in reading, and he didn't seem to be receiving the help he needed to succeed! 
I made a decision then that I needed to do all I could to get him the help he needed! That was my goal! Only, I'm not a very good confrontational person. In fact, I HATE confrontation and it turned out that I had to attend meeting after meeting after meeting until I went all the way up to board of education in our city; in front of the news media and everyone before I finally received what I was seeking!! 
There were plenty of times I wanted to give up. More times than I can count when I cried out to The Lord to simply intervene! It was not only the goal, however, that kept me going, but the consequences that could have possibly happen if I failed. With God's help I reached my goal and my son received the help he needed, and not only my son, but others as well, and today my son is extremely successful at all he does. To God goes the glory! 
One truth I learned during that time was that a goal is not merely a dream, wish etc. It's so much more than that! It's not, "Oh, I wish I could" or "I hope I can" it's declaring all we want to achieve for the Lord! It's a declaration of faith that cannot fail! 
What do you plan to achieve for God, your family and yourself? Declare it! Commit it to Him and go....girl ! All for His glory! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments