Motivated By His Love {2 Corinthians 5}

9:08 AM

Today's Scripture passage: 2 Corinthians 5 


What motivates you most often?
Is it a sense of feeling obligated? 
Is it out of a fear of what others might think of you if you don't do something?

I'd like to be able to say as Paul  once confessed to the Corinthians, "it's the love of Christ that compels us"(2 Corinthians 5:14a) . Is that what motivates you to do what you do each day?



I sat one day after reading those words and thought about all I do in my day, and what was my underlining motivating factor for all I do, and I hated to admit that much, if not all some days, I'm motivated by my own selfishness. I spend time each day in His word, but I had to wonder if I was doing it out of habit, or a sense of obligation, or out of love.

I do for others each day, but again I had to wonder is it because it's expected of me, or is it because of all Christ Jesus has done for me. Most often I like to pick and choose who and how I will bless others.


Paul goes on to explain, "that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised." (2 Corinthians 5:14b-15)


Paul also told the Galatians, "For I through the law (obligation) died to the law that I might live to God.  I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live (my will), but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." (Galatians 2:19-20)


I believe that there are three aspects of the love of Christ (that should) compels us:

– The love we have received from Jesus.
– The love Jesus gives us for others.
– The love we return to Jesus Himself.
Basically, it's all about Jesus! So why do I continue to make my daily life all about me?
And I immediately thought of Jesus' words found in Luke 9:23, "..."If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.That's it!
Jesus died for me that I might learn to live for Him who gave Himself for me out of His great love. It's a process of daily dying to my self and focusing on his "dying love" for me that I can continue to surrender my wants, wishes and desire to Him 
Paul then goes on to explain that “All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation” (v. 18). Reconciliation means the overcoming of distance, the restoration of friendship, being at peace again. 
The best part about all of this is, it's NOT up to us! It's God working for us in Christ. He makes it happen and then sends us to share it with others.
The absolute BEST part of all of this, and what I hope you'll take with you forever is,  “God made him [Jesus] who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (v. 21). Doesn't this one truth compel you to be all you can be for Him?
Blessings!
Sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments