From Groaning to Shouts of Joy! ~ Psalm 32

9:17 AM

 Today's Reading: Psalm 32 &  Romans 4:1-12 2 Corinthians 5:17-19


Upon my first reading Psalm 32, I couldn't help but to notice the huge contrast between David's groaning in verses 3-4, 

"When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer."

And rejoining in verse 11, 

"Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous; shout for joy, all you upright in heart."

What happened to bring about such a change in David?

"I acknowledged my sin to You,
And I did not hide my wickedness;
I said, “I will confess [all] my transgressions to the Lord”;
And You forgave the guilt of my sin." -Psalm 32:5

Psalm 32 is a psalm of thanksgiving. It is called a “Mashcil,” which means to give instruction or to understand and the reader would be wise to heed the wisdom found in the psalm. 

The Hebrew word translated “blessed” could actually be translated “Oh, how blissfully happy!” I like the sound of that.  Charles Spurgeon noted that this blissful peace came after David’s confession of his adulterous affair with Bathsheba ( 2 Samuel 11 & 12), recorded in Psalm 51.

I feel to truly understand this "Mashcil" we need to break down the true definitions of some of the terms David uses here. 

Blessed is he whose transgression (v.1) Transgression is willful rebellion; willfully crossing the line of something you know is wrong and doing it anyway. 

But thetransgression is forgiven”(v.1), Forgiveness is when the burden is lifted up and carried away. Notice David's transgression was weighing down upon him in verse 4, "For day and night Your hand [of displeasure] was heavy upon me;
My energy (vitality, strength) was drained away as with the burning heat of summer." The consequences of our transgressions are never suppose to be pleasant.

Whose sin(v.1) Sin is a failure to keep God’s law. The Greek word translated sin in the New Testament means to miss the mark

But the “sin is covered,”(v.1) that is, blotted out or in these days, redacted, so we can no longer see them. 

"Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute inequity"(v.2). Impute is actually an accounting term which would mean that The Lord is no longer holding the sinner responsible for this debt. The debt is canceled!

"Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute inequity" (v.2) Iniquity is a crookedness or deviation from the right path; more like going astray. 

 "And in whose spirit there is no deceit" (v.2) David is speaking here of self deceit. We can often deceive ourselves into believing that our actions are justified when they clearly go against God's word. David explains that there is no self deceit here because he has owned up to his sin (see v 5). 

David seems to cover all the bases here, but it may be something the average reader would miss unless he/she knew the definitions to each of these term and truly only then can we understand why David  felt it necessary to say all that he did here. 

Knowing all of this has brought so much more meaning to this psalm for me and I wanted to pass it along to you. 

But I believe the key that David doesn't want his readers to miss is the contrast between one who covers over their sin and transgressions and one who readily confesses them,
Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but he who trusts in and relies on the Lord shall be surrounded with mercy, compassion and lovingkindness." Psalm 32:10

 Our sin cannot be covered by God until man uncovers by confessing it. I immediately thought of 1 John 1:8-9,  "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
11 

And David goes on to share with us how wonderful it will be for us if we choose t
o walk each day, in the light and freedom of the grace of our God all because of what Jesus has already done for us, "Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous [who actively seek right standing with Him];
Shout for joy, all you upright in heart.-Psalm 32:10-11(Emphasis mine)

Let me ask you:

_Are you willfully walking in disobedience and rebellion in any area of your life? 
_Have you knowingly missed the mark in some area? 
_Knowing the freedom that comes from forgiveness, have you freely forgiven others remembering that God will not forgive you, unless you also forgive? (Mt 6:9-13)
_What does God most need you to do right now?

Let's Pray:

O Father, thank You that I can receive forgiveness at any time in my life, no matter how extreme or far I have strayed from You. Whether I acted willfully, or in ignorance, I'm so very grateful for the promises in Your word that reassures me that You will readily forgive and not hold it against me each time I come to You and confess my transgressions and sins.
 I pray that you would forgive me for __________. Help me to receive healing from the inside out through Your love. Thank You in advance for Your work of redemption in my life and the power of Your Spirit. I pray that You would pour Your Spirit into me; filling me and use me to be a blessing to others in my life. Thank You for Your precious Son, Jesus, who has made all this possible, and it is in His name I pray. Amen.

Blessings, 


 


You Might Also Like

0 comments