How Low Can You Go?

4:00 PM



Our Reading: Psalm 38 and John 3:36



Sin has consequences. We know that the original sin has caused all of humanity to exist in an imperfect world where there is sickness, injury and death. The Bible makes it clear that just because someone is suffering physically, it doesn’t mean that they are being personally punished by God. But, the Bible also makes it clear that the effects of sin certainly impact us on a physiological, mental, emotional and spiritual level and most importantly, sin separates us from right relationship with God. 


David is wrestling in this Psalm with broken fellowship with God and he was suffering within his mortal body. Scholars argue about whether David had actual physical disease/injury or if his descriptions are metaphoric. No one can argue though that David was in some form of great distress and he linked his ailments with the consequences of sin. 

“There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin.” Psalm‬ ‭38:3‬ ‭


How low can you go? Looks like David has reached the rock bottom of lows. 

  1. He is overwhelmed: “For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me.” v4
  2. His countenance is downcast. “I am utterly bowed down and prostrate; all the day I go about mourning.” v6
  3. He is disheartened. “My heart throbs; my strength fails me, and the light of my eyes—it also has gone from me.” v10
  4. He has no support system. “My friends and companions stand aloof from my plague, and my nearest kin stand far off.” v11
  5. He is targeted. “Those who seek my life lay their snares; those who seek my hurt speak of ruin and meditate treachery all day long.”v12


David knows he is in a low place and he can not defend himself or claw his way out of it. He has to look up and seek the help of God. “But for you, O Lord, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.” v 15

He knows he needs to restore relationship with God by honest confession and repentance. “I confess my iniquity; I am sorry for my sin.” v18


The same is true for each of us. If we pursue our own sinful desires, we will suffer consequences. “Sin will take you farther than you want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay, and cost you more than you want to pay! ( author unknown )”

It can take us on a downward spiral to very low places but that becomes a good thing if it brings us to the end of ourself. When we recognize the despair of our sinful state, then we can recognize our desperate need for restitution to God. We can be sorry for our sin but that is not enough. “To be sorry for sin is no atonement for it, but it is the right spirit in which to [turn] to Jesus, who is the reconciliation and the Saviour.” (Spurgeon) We have to look up for our Savior, Jesus, and let Him reconcile us and lift us up from the low places to higher ground. 


Reflection:

  1. How low are you? Is there sin you are clinging to that is responsible for your circumstances? 
  2. Has there been a time when God let you spiral to the end of yourself so He could be your only resource? 


Prayer: Father, we thank You that no matter how low we may go, we are never out of Your saving grasp. We are grateful that You care enough about us to let us spiral to the end of ourselves and recognize how desperately we need You and then You come to our aid and set our feet on firm ground. May You continue Your work of making us and remaking us so that we can be more and more like Jesus. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments