His Loving Discipline- Psalm 39, Romans 5:1

8:00 PM

 


Today's Reading: Psalm 39Romans 5:1

When I read the first verses from today’s Psalm, I could relate to a time in my life when I felt so troubled and in such dismay:

“I said, “I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue; I will muzzle my mouth
while the wicked are in my presence. I was mute and silent [before my enemies], I refrained even from good, And my [distress grew worse. My heart was hot within me. While I was musing the fire burned; Then I spoke with my tongue:” (v. 1-3)

Yes, the more I focused on the hurt and the pain, in my heart “fire burned”, and instead of taking it to the Lord like David did in the first verse… I kept it to myself until I let my heart become bitter and arrogant! I had “the excuse” to hold a grudge against that person for the unjust way I had been treated for such a long time, but did not want to realize the harm I was doing to myself!

As David advised previously in Psalm 37:7-8,  we should: “Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper— it only leads to harm.”

In 1 Peter 5:5-7 we find that: “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under God’s mighty hand that He may lift you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.”

But when we walk by our own truths we become arrogant…we feel we know better and sadly our heart becomes hardened by bitterness and what is worse: hardened to God’s Word!  This is how I continued, until one day I was involved in a terrible car accident…. By God’s Grace, no one was hurt, except me: I had a cervical injury that kept me bedridden at home for two months, and through this painful recovery, I had plenty of time to realize all the time I wasted in this absurd attitude which made me sin against my Lord and as I humbly repented from my transgressions, I now could freely and with a contrite heart express like David:

Lord, let me know my [life’s] end and [to appreciate] the extent of my days; Let me know how frail I am [how transient is my stay here]. “Behold, You have made my days as [short as] hand widths, and my lifetime is as nothing in Your sight. Surely every man at his best is a mere breath [a wisp of smoke, a vapor that vanishes]! (vs. 4-5) … “I am silent before you; I won’t say a word, for my punishment is from you. 10 But please stop striking me!  I am exhausted by the blows from your hand. 11 When you discipline us for our sins,  you consume like a moth what is precious to us. Each of us is but a breath.( Interlude ) 12 Hear my prayer, O Lord!  Listen to my cries for help! Don’t ignore my tears.” (vs.9-12)


“Tears have ever had great prevalence with God. Christ used these sacred weapons when, “with strong crying and tears,” he prayed to his Father in Gethsemane, “and we heard in that he feared.” Sinner, there is such potency in a penitent’s tears that thou mayest prevail with God if thou wilt come to him weeping over thy sin, and pleading the precious blood of Christ. Thy tears cannot merit heaven, or wash away thy sins, but if thou dost penitently grieve over them, and trust in the great atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ, thy tearful prayers shall have a gracious answer of peace... He who knows how to weep his heart out at the foot of the cross shall not be long without finding mercy. Tears are diamonds that God loves to behold.” (C.H. Spurgeon)

Reflection: Are you actually having to deal with a person or a situation that is affecting your peace of mind? Are you struggling to surrender this to God? Have you actually forgiven that person?

Let’s pray:  Heavenly Father, thank you for your Holy Spirit and your Word that strengthens us as we face so many difficult situations in our lives. May we be able to “fix our thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable” (Phil. 4:8). May we “ get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. (Col. 3:8). Please Lord, that “evil will not conquer us, but that we conquer evil by doing good.” (Ro. 12:21)  “Now may the God of peace make us holy in every way, and may our whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. 24 God will make this happen, for he who calls us is faithful.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) - Emphasis mine-. In Jesus name we pray. Amen!

Blessings,

Mari



You Might Also Like

0 comments