Green Olive Trees in The House of The Lord ~ Psalm 52

9:00 AM

Scripture reading: Psalm 52 , 2 Samuel 12:1-14 Romans 12:1 

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God;
I trust in God’s unfailing love for ever and ever. Psalm 52:8


This psalm is David's recollection of when he was fleeing King Saul. There was a certain Edomite "set over the servants of Saul” (1 Sam. 22:9), named Doeg, who had informed Saul that David had fled and was being helped by the priests at Nob. Saul then orders Doeg to kill over 85 priests (1 Sam 22:18), and Doeg obeys Saul’s order.

David seems to reveal what he knows about this informer through the first part of the psalm.  Doeg was a:

  • Braggart (Psalm 52:1),
  • Mighty warrior (Psalm 52:1),
  • Person who used his tongue to stir up trouble (Psalm 52:2),
  • Person who loved evil “more than good” (Psalm 52:3) and lying more than truth,
  • Person whose speech was deceptive (Psalm 52:4) and had a plan to hurt and destroy others
  • A man who would not get away with his sin (Psalm 52:5). There is always a wage for sin that all will pay unless God’s mercy spares them.

But in this Maskil, I believe David has an important lesson for all of us when we are facing troubled times, even death. David shifts his attention from the wicked to the Lord in verse 8 and makes a provocative statement of his confidence in God that should have captured everyone's attention: “But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God” (Psalm 52:8a).

Before we go any further may I ask, what are the trials, troubles, and tribulations you are  facing just now? David wants you to know that no matter what is going on in your life or in the world around you, you can face them like a green olive tree in the house of God.

How can we be like a green olive tree in the house of God? According to David, it's by,

1.) Trusting in the Lord

David declares, “I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever” (Psalm 52:8b). To trust in the Lord is to live in complete dependence and confidence in the Lord. According to David, this is the only way to face the evil and injustice. And we know the Lord is worthy of our trust, because of his “steadfast love.” 

2.) Thanking the Lord

David proclaims, “I will thank you forever, because you have done it” (Psalm 52:9a). A life of worry, doubt, and fear conveys a lack of confidence in God, but trusting in God’s future faithfulness is rooted in gratitude for God’s faithfulness to you in the past. Thanksgiving fuels this trust. 

3.) Waiting on the Lord

David announces, “I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly” (Psalm 52:9b). Did you know that a trusting and thankful heart will be marked by patience. This patience is not about sitting down and idly waiting, however. The biblical term to wait basically means to walk by faith, not by sight.  

David's life was in danger along with the very men who followed him and even those who helped him along the way! He had every right to give up and in, in my book. I hate to admit I've been tempted a time or two for lesser reasons, but David’s faith was based on his hope in the Lord, not man. He knew God would not fail him. He could wait on God to keep his promises. 

4.) Surrounding himself with others.

"I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly." Wait, but don’t wait alone. Surround yourself with godly people who will wait with you. Notice, Olive Trees flourish in a grove with others. 


So let me ask you:

  • Are you like a green olive tree in the house of God?
  • Are you facing trials and tough times? 
  • Are you waiting on God's deliverance? 
  • Are you trusting Him during this time? Walking by faith? Giving thanks and praising Him?
  • Have you surrounded yourself with other godly believers who can lift you up and support you? 
  • Are you that help to others going through tough times just now?
Let's pray:
Father, Lord, I thank You that You are the God of the impossible. You can do anything. I want to trust in Your ability and not my own. Teach me to see difficulties in my life from Your perspective. Help me to focus on You and Your power. I want to be like David, who trusted and praised you even when His very life was in great danger. Today I bring before You this difficulty in my life ___________. Help me not to fear but to trust You in this situation. I declare my faith in Your ability to fulfill Your promises to me. You will fight for me and win the battles in my life. You are mighty, powerful, righteous and true. And please may I be open and honest to share with other that I know will support me completely during this time, until we are all rejoicing on the other side! Amen.

Blessings, 
Sue 

You Might Also Like

0 comments