Daily Dependence

4:00 PM




Our Reading:Psalm 68 & Isaiah 45:22


The Christian life is a life of dependence. It is a life to be lived one day at a time, surrendering that day to the glory of God. This includes every event and circumstance of that day, whether pleasant or difficult, happy or sad. Each morning that you awaken, your purpose is to be wholly dependent on God and His desires for your life. David lived his life humbly before God, seeking Him daily and relying on His provision.

“Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. Selah”.  Psalm‬ ‭68‬:‭19‬ ‭


Every day we are on this earth is a gift from God and He has work for us to do. Do you want to be used by God? Never underestimate your value as a tool to be used by Him. Every person you encounter, every situation you are put into is a potential opportunity to impact another person’s life. 

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.”  Ephesians‬ ‭2‬:‭10‬ ‭


God is always at work and we can be part of that work if we are yielded to Him.

This includes friends, family, strangers. You may not even realize that impact but if you are humbly yielding to Him, then you are reflecting dependence on Him and that dependence on Him is what yields fruit.  We can’t run ahead of His plans or lag behind, but must keep in step, making sure we are joining in His work and not doing our own work that is outside of His plan.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”  John‬ ‭15‬:‭5


That daily dependence is meant to be a place of rest and refuge where we find comfort and provision. He wants us to be teachable and every day holds opportunities for us to learn from Him and be increasingly more transformed to be like Him. 

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."” Matthew‬ ‭11‬:‭28‬-‭30‬ ‭


Paul, like David looked to God for daily dependence, through varying seasons and conditions. He learned to be content in all circumstances because He found His strength in God. 

“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬-‭13‬ ‭


In this Psalm we see David expecting God to deliver His people, overcoming the enemy and providing for their needs. This is also a key to daily dependence. We trust in the mighty power of God, that He cares about us and hears our prayers and we wait for Him to act. 

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.” Psalm‬ ‭37‬:‭7‬-‭8‬ ‭


Reflection:

  1. Are you daily depending on God? Would others see that dependence?
  2. Can you find purpose and contentment even when circumstances are not easy?
  3. Are you able to trust and wait upon the Lord? 


Prayer:

Father, we know that we can do nothing of eternal value without You. Each and every day we are in need of You to teach us, to guide us, to strengthen us and provide for our needs. May every day that You give us breath, be a day that we glorify You and rest in You. We thank You for Your love and Your blessings! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments