Finding Rest for Your Soul ~ Psalm 62

9:00 AM

Today's Scripture: Psalm 62 John 10:30 


We often talk about needing to rest, recharging our battery, unwind, get some R&R, or the need for some downtime. There are many ways to describe resting, but I had to wonder if this is truly what David was describing in this psalm when he wrote,

Truly my soul finds rest in God;
    my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I shall never be shaken. (Psalm 62:1-2)

If we read on we discover David is being tormented by others,

How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? (v.3)

And I had to wonder what does our enemy use to torment us these days in an attempt to unsettle our hearts? Perhaps,

  • The rise in crime.
  • Inflation
  • Rumors of wars 
  • Pandemics
  • Social issues
There are plenty of weapons he can use, and we only need to turn on the TV or social media to become bombarded by them all. It's wonderful to get away, to turn off social media, but that is often only a temporary solution. Therefore, I had to wonder if David has a better plan for us here in this psalm. 

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
    for my hope is from him.

He only is my rock and my salvation,

    my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
 On God rests my salvation and my glory;
    my mighty rock, my refuge is God.


Trust in him at all times, O people;

    pour out your heart before him;
    God is a refuge for us. Selah (Psalm 62:5-8)

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. (V.5) 

I wonder, what have you placed your hope in?
  • Your savings?
  • Husband or others?
  • Job?
  • Elected Officials?
I've placed my faith, hope and found comfort in all of these at one time or another in spite of knowing that only God is proven faithful at all times. And each time I’ve been disappointed I had to wonder why my faith rested there instead of with God alone, for no matter how wonderful others are, they are bound to let us down at some point. 

Trust in him at all times, O people. (V.8)

I believe David offers us the key reason His soul could rest despite being tormented by others in verse 8. David placed his trust in God alone. I’ve discovered over the years that when I am wholly looking to and trusting in God, I am now free to minister to others rather than looking and longing for others to minister to me. He meets every need! It is though I am girded up; my armor is on and together the Lord and I can meet the needs of others. 

It’s a wonderful position to be in! I instantly morph from being needy to looking to meet the needs of others and the only thing that change was where I placed my trust! 

 I looked up cross-references to the phase, "trust in Him" and wanted to share a few in hopes these truths will build your faith as it did mine:

  • 1 Chronicles 5:20, They cried out to (God) during battle. He answered their prayers because they trusted in Him.
  • Psalm 28:7, The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me.
  • Psalm 37:5, Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this.
  • Psalm 40:3, He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in Him.
  • Isaiah 25:9, This is the Lord; we trusted in Him; let us rejoice and be glad.
  • Naham 1:7, The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him. 
  • Romans 15:13, May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.
  • 1 Peter 2:6, The one who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.


Let's pray:

Holy Father, our hearts are often heavy with the darkness we see in this world. There is many things our enemy can torment and disquiet our heart with. And we confess that it is not always our first instinct to turn towards you during such times Father. When our hearts are heavy remind us that you are there, always there, to gently nudge us back to your path. O God, may we too say as David did long ago, "my heart rests in God alone." Thank you for the many ways that you provide us. Please continue to comfort and strengthen us and help us to continue to glorify You! May we team up to win this world back to you! In your Holy name we pray, Amen.

Blessings , 

Sue




You Might Also Like

0 comments