“Don’t Worry, I’ve Got This!” - God {Luke 11:37-12}

8:30 PM


   
What comes to mind when you hear the words: fear, anxiety and worry?

Fear…anxiety… or worry, whatever term you choose, is one of the enemy’s most popular and lethal weapons he enjoys using against us. Worry, anxiety and fear can overwhelm us at times; taking control of our emotions and can be detrimental to our health and livelihood. But, I’ll bet I don’t have to tell you that!

Pain is what I think of. I have a condition called TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorders). It has been so painful at times that I thought I had a brain tumor once, and went to the dentist thinking I had a toothache another! I’ve had butterflies in my stomach so bad I thought I’d be sick! I used to loose at least 5 pounds the first month of every school year, all because I allowed my fears and anxieties to get the best of me.

Fortunately since then, I’ve learned to give thanks (Philippians 4:6-8) when these conditions flair up, for I’ve learned to treat these physical symptoms as a tool to help me deal with what is going on within my mind.

 Martin Luther once wrote a letter to his wife saying, “Pray and let God worry.”, and this one statement set me on the path to experiencing victory over my anxiety. Imagine for a moment God worrying. Seems outrageous, doesn’t it? Of course! Our omnipotent God never worries! Why? Because He’s “large and in charge”. He is all-powerful; Creator and Sustainer over all things! There is nothing He cannot do!

Now, think of the things we tend to worry over: our health, safety, finances, the future, our children while out of our care, what others may think.... We worry about the things we have no control over, right? All the while we know that all our energy spent on worrying cannot help the situation!

Our Savior knew this. In fact the Bible is full of verses commanding us not to worry, become anxious, or fearful! Here are 33 passages just in this one poster for you to save if you’d like:

Jesus tells us in Luke 12:32 "Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom". In this one short verse, we see that we are His sheep and Jesus is our Shepherd. He is saying, "I am the Shepherd. I am going to watch over and protect you. Don't be afraid, little flock." Isn’t that comforting? We, as God's children, don't have to fear, for Jesus is going to watch over us.

But it’s tough NOT to worry, simply because we’re commanded not to! How do we stop the vicious cycle of stressing over things that are out of our control? I believe Jesus offers us an answer in the passage in chapter 12.

When Jesus says,

Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds!” (12:24)

Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. (12:27-28)

And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need (12:29-31 emphasis mine)

He’s saying, don’t worry, but set your focus on the truth. Pretty much what Paul also said in Philippians 4:6-8,
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”

It won’t always be easy, for it basically comes down to a choice. When symptoms of anxiety arise:
  • I will identify what is causing me to fear, worry or be anxious. 
  • I will give it all over to God and ask Him to guard my heart. 
  • I will instead choose to focus on what is true in the midst of uncertain times. (Philippians 4:6-8)
We may still experience moments of fear, but we can believe that God is with us. We can trust, though we may not be in control, He is. And take comfort when He whispers, “Don’t worry, I’ve got this!” for we know He absolutely does.

Blessings!
sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments