Reflections From a Cave Dweller ~ Psalm 57

9:00 AM

 Today's Scriptures: Psalm 57 & Luke 24:45-47



This psalm was written especially for cave-dwellers, as you can see by the title: “A psalm of David. A miktam*. When he had fled from Saul into the cave.”

David and his men fled to the cave looking for refuge from King Saul. (1 Samuel 22) By now, I'm sure David thought he'd be living in a palace as King over Israel, but instead David spent months, perhaps years, living in a cave for Saul wanted David dead. It was there in this cave, however, that David wrote three of his most amazing psalms—Psalms 34, 142, and our psalm for today, Psalm 57.

Your cave might not be an actual physical cave, you may find yourself living in more of an emotional one, where it is dark, dismal and disillusioning. And perhaps the hardest part of all is that you cannot share this truth with anyone else because you feel so desperate . . . so alone. Surely others wouldn't understand, right?

The Christian life is suppose to be all these silver-lined clouds with one mountain-top experience after another. David is here to tell you that, that isn't always the case; sometimes the Christian life includes a deep, dark cave, but amazing things can come out of the cave!

I'd like to share a bit from all three psalms today since they were all written during David's cave-dwelling experience. 

To begin with, if you find yourself in the cave, look up—God is there! In his cave, David tells us in Psalm 34:18, “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” This is one of my favorite promises from Scripture, for the cave is where David came to experience the God of the brokenhearted. And so will you if you’ll look for God there. 

Next, if you’re in the cave, David recommends you cry out—God is listening! Talk to God, tell Him all you're experiencing - he can handle it! If I've learned one thing reading the psalms I've learned David was masterful at sharing his heart, and it was great therapy for him. In his cave, David wrote Psalm 142:1-2, “I cry aloud to the Lord…I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble.” Also in Psalm 57:2 David wrote, “I cry out to God, who fulfills his purpose for me.

Then, trust Him! "He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!" - Psalm 57:3

Notice what David says to his men out of Psalm 34:

  • To the distressed, "O taste and see that the LORD is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!"
  • To those in debt, "O fear the LORD, you His saints; for to those who fear Him there is no want."
  • To the discontented, "The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; but they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing."

If you're in a cave prepare to glorify Him! I know this sounds pretty crazy and probably the LAST thing you feel tempted to do in a cave, but David proves it can be done! Notice, My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! (trusting) I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory!" (57:7-8a) To his men he sang this while Saul was still seeking to kill him, "Magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together." He's putting their eyes on the Lord. "I sought the LORD, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears."

And finally thank Him! Yes, thank the Lord for your cave-dwelling experience. 

I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
 For your steadfast love is great to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the clouds. 
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens. Let your glory be over all the earth! - Psalm 57:9-11

A lot of great things can happen in a cave- dwelling experience! 

  • David's men's skills were sharpened there. 
  • David faith deepened. 
  • Paul wrote much of the New Testament in prison. 
  • And Jesus was resurrected for us all!

Proving God can do His best work in caves! David ran to his cave for refuge and found resurrections! God can resurrect marriages, jobs, relationship.. nothing is impossible for God!

So let me ask you:

Have you, or are you experiencing a time of "cave-dwelling"? If so how's it going? 

Have you cried out?

Are you trusting while you wait?

Are you thanking God and trusting Him to turn this all for His glory? 

Let's Pray:

Heavenly Father, thank You that nothing can separate me from Your love. Even in the valleys and caves You are always there beside me. The cares of this world may  cause sadness and despair at times, but help me to trust You in each season.  May I find refuge in your love, and safety in your shadow. Increase my faith that I might experience happiness and joy in your eternal kingdom. Through Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen.

Blessings, 




*This psalm as well as Psalms 16, 56–60 are called Miktam or Michtam. The Hebrew word for “writing” here is miktab, which many scholars believe is related to michtam. It is not known why David uses this term in the titles, but one thought is that a related word to michtam is the Hebrew katham, which means “an engraving.” If the underlying meaning of michtam is “engraving,” then the songs labeled as “michtams” could have been considered of enough value to be stamped or engraved upon tablets for long-term preservation. - Got Questions

You Might Also Like

0 comments