Our Strength and Our High Place: Psalm 59, 1 Samuel 19:11-18

7:00 PM

 

Today's reading: Psalm 59, 1 Samuel 19:11-18

This psalm was written for the occasion when: ”Saul sends men to David’s house to kill him.”  Michal spares David’s life and gives him time by pretending that he is sleeping in his bed and is sick. But Saul did not care that David was sick. He commands the men to get him up out of the bed so he can kill him. (1Samuel 19).

We can imagine all the turmoil in David’s heart, at this life threatening circumstance!

 “It was when his hostilities against David were newly begun, and he had but just before narrowly escaped Saul's javelin. These first eruptions of Saul's malice could not but put David into disorder and be both grievous and terrifying, and yet he kept up his communion with God, and such a composure of mind as that he was never out of frame for prayer and praises; happy are those whose intercourse with heaven is not intercepted nor broken in upon by their cares, or griefs, or fears, or any of the hurries (whether outward or inward) of an afflicted state.” (Matthew Henry)

In verses 3-5 David cries out to the Lord expressing the difficult circumstances he is in, with the conviction that he is innocent, and he calls for the Lord to awake, arise, and punish those who seek to kill him. I love how David was intentional and confident in his prayer requests to His Lord, and he cried to God using His names and attributes:

· He was Yahweh, the covenant God of Israel (LORD).

· He was Elohim Sabaoth, the commander of heavenly armies (God of hosts).

· He was Elohi Israel, the God of His chosen people (God of Israel).

 “The petitions in Psalm 59:5 are remarkable, both in their accumulation of the Divine names and in their apparent transcending of the suppliant’s need…. Each name suggests something in God which encourages hope, and when appealed to by a trusting soul, moves Him to act.” (Maclaren)

David declares his strong faith and hope in his God:

But You, O Lord, will laugh at them [in scorn]; You scoff at and deride all the nations. O [God] my strength, I will watch for You; For God is my stronghold [my refuge, my protector, my high tower]. 10 My God in His [steadfast] lovingkindness will meet me; God will let me look triumphantly on my enemies [who lie in wait for me]. (59:8-10 AMP)

 

 “‘For God is my defense,’ my high place, my fortress, the place of my resort in the time of my danger. If the foe be too strong for me to cope with him, I will retreat into my castle, where he cannot reach me.” (Spurgeon)

Yes, David had the deep conviction in his heart that “his God” was with him at all times. He had set all his trust and faith in Him from an early age: ” The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.10 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for you.” (Psalm 9:9-10)

His communion with the Lord and the love and passion he had for Him, as well as his commitment to please Him, was with no doubt what made of David a man after God’s own heart!

When King Saul openly revealed his desire to kill David sending wicked men to his house to take his life and failed, Saul decided that nothing would stop him from doing so. David knew this, and for the next many years (perhaps 15 years-Bibleorg.com*), David had to live as a fugitive, constantly in danger of his life! David was convinced His God was with him because of “His unfailing love” for him, so through his praise David was able to pour out his heart to God in such difficult times of his life, as we read in today’s final verses:

14 My enemies come out at night, snarling like vicious dogs…. 16 But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress. 17 O my Strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love.” (59:14-17NLT)

Let’s pray:

Heavenly Father: Thank you for your Word today which reminds us that we are Yours and no matter what we might face, You surround us with Unfailing Love (59:10,16,17). Thank you for ensuring us that You will always be our God (59.1), our Defense (59:9,17); our God of Mercy (59:10-17), and our Strength (59:9,17). May we remind ourselves in times of distress that You will never leave us nor forsake us! May our hearts be always willing to offer You our unconditional love, obedience and ”… a sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of lips that thankfully acknowledge and confess and glorify Your name.” (Heb. 13:15) In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen!

Blessings,

Mari

*https://bible.org/seriespage/4-waiting-lord-2-samuel-21-55


You Might Also Like

0 comments