The God Who Equips Me

3:00 PM



Our Reading: Psalm 18 and 2 Samuel 7:4-17, Romans 15:8-13                       

                     

David is finally able to celebrate being triumphant over his enemies. In response to this victory, he does not boast about his own strength or cunning or ability. If you look carefully at the wording of this Psalm, you will see clearly that David takes a back seat perspective and gives all of the credit to God. 


David knows that when he has to confront evil, God is the fortress he needs to take shelter in. David was a brave and capable warrior, but instead of barging headstrong and impulsively into battle, he fortifies himself spiritually. 

“I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” V 1-2


David knows he needs the help of God and he knows that God hears his prayers and supports him. In fact, David paints a picture of God springing into action and going into battle mode to save him. 

“He bowed the heavens and came down; thick darkness was under his feet. He rode on a cherub and flew; he came swiftly on the wings of the wind.” V 9-10


David knew that God would respond to him based on the posture and condition of his heart. We know that David was not a perfect, blameless man but we know that David always humbled himself and wanted to honor God’s teachings and instructions. God knew the deep desires of David’s heart just as he knows the desires of every man’s heart and he responds in kind. 

“So the Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight. With the merciful you show yourself merciful; with the blameless man you show yourself blameless; with the purified you show yourself pure; and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous. For you save a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down.” V 24-27


It is from this position of humility and surrender that God is able to equip David for victory. 

  • “For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall.” V29
  • “He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.” V33
  • “He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” V34
  • “For you equipped me with strength for the battle; you made those who rise against me sink under me.” V39


Not only does David acknowledge God when he is in a low place and greatly in need of his help, but he recognizes God at work when he is in an elevated place as well. 

“You delivered me from strife with the people; you made me the head of the nations; people whom I had not known served me.” V43

 

In every circumstance of life, God stands with us. If we humbly look to Him as the source of all that we need, He can equip us and enable us to respond to the moment in a way that pleases Him, glorifies Him and we get to be amazed as we watch Him go into action. 


Reflection:

  1. We all deal with varying circumstances that challenge us and require a response or action plan. Do you find yourself impulsively taking charge or do you stop and seek the counsel of the Lord?
  2. Who do you give honor and credit to for your accomplishments and successes? 
  3. What is the condition of your heart when you seek the Lord? And do you only seek Him in your times of struggle and distress or do you seek Him in all facets of your daily life?


Prayer: Father, how grateful we are that we can depend on You to protect us, shelter us and go to battle for us! May every word we say, every step we take and every plan we pursue be aligned with Your will and desires.v May we realize that You are our strength and You equip us for the occasion with all that we need. Our limitations are not your limitations. “For this I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations, and sing to your name.”  V49

You Might Also Like

0 comments