The Key to Wonder {Luke 2}

12:00 PM


Scripture Reading: Luke 2

Often when I read Luke 2, I wonder how different the story would have been had Mary taken matters into her own hands rather than surrendering her life to God. How about you? Do you often find yourself running ahead of God, or content to watch and wait for Him to work?

I’ve recently discovered what I believe is the key to experiencing the awe and wonder that Mary experienced multiple times in this chapter.


Have you ever longed to be like Mary, in that you, “treasure all these things, pondering on them in [your] heart”? I do! I want to let God lead me in all that I do with my family; children and grandchildren—and in all areas of my life.

We’re not only preparing to start a new year, but a new decade and I’d like this one to be different from all the rest!

Mary, I believe,  holds the key to a life filled with awe and wonder, but it’s actually found in Luke 1:38, when Mary says, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word…” Did you catch that? Mary wholly surrendered her life to the will of God in spite of any and all plans, hopes and dreams she may have had as a young teenage girl betrothed to Joseph. She was “all in”!

Recently I was sent on a mission back to my home state which meant I needed to fly and stay up there for a few days at least. There were flights and hotels to book, travel plans to be made and connections to make, yet through it all I never worried, and it all fell into place; including the day I was to leave!

My flight was very early in the morning, and that morning a violent storm was on it’s way into the area. The airport was super busy and the airline companies were trying to get as many flights out before the storm hit! The flight I took flew out just moments before a tornado hit the area. We flew straight north, so consequently, I ended up having to fly through the storm once more on my second flight heading east! Both flights experienced a great deal of turbulence; so much so, that even the flight attendants remained buckled in for the entire time. I honestly hadn’t learned of the damage done to the area until I was safely where I needed to be, yet I never once worried about the safety of all the passengers. 

This was actually indicative of my whole trip, for everything seemed to be taken care of immediately. I was ushered to the best tables at restaurants, received free coffee simply because I was inquiring about it. Even the heat turned on in the hotel room the moment I shared it seemed to be getting chilly.

My friend who was with me and I both burst out in laughter at that moment and my girlfriend remarked, “Of course this only happens to you.”  

I don’t believe that for a moment, but I do believe when we choose to live a wholly surrendered life to God, we know WHO is large and in charge, and Who carefully watches over each and every detail. There’s no reason to worry, to panic, or try to take matters into our own hands. When we walk with Him, wholly surrendered we get to sit back, sort of speak, and watch Him work, and treasure all He does in our hearts.

It’s the way I’d like to spend not only the next year or decade, but the rest of my days until He calls me home.

Blessings,
sue


You Might Also Like

0 comments