Be Gracious To Me O Lord {Psalm 31:7-10}

12:00 AM



Monday Nov. 4, Psalm 31:7-10

We were promised sufferings. They were part of the program. We were even told, 'Blessed are they that mourn,' and I accept it.” (C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed)  

Suffering and grief go hand in hand with living in a fallen world; and Jesus tells us that no one, not even Christians, are exempt. (John 16:33) David knew this well. Feeling humiliated and grieved to the point of physical pain he laments, “My eye is wasted away from grief, my soul and my body also.” (vs. 9) I can relate to that kind of pain. For I too have felt such grief that not only did I feel mentally sick, but physically as well. My heart literally ached and I felt as though I couldn’t breathe, or take another step. It hurt so much, that I couldn’t even get on my knees to pray. It was all I could do to cry out, “Be gracious to me O Lord!”

Throughout the ages people have asked how a loving God could allow suffering in the world. And in the depths of my despair I too have asked that same question. How could my Father let me, His child, become broken, in pain, and filled with sorrow? But time, hindsight, and prayer have taught me that instead of asking why, trust that no matter the suffering I endure, God always has a purpose for my pain.

For whom the LORD loves He reproves, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.” (Prov. 3:12) Sometimes my anguish is a result of my own doing and God lets me suffer the consequences of my actions. Other times God uses my suffering to polish away the junk and impurities polluting my heart, in order to make me into a shining example of Him in my life. “See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.” (Is. 48:10) And more often than not, just like He did with Paul, God uses my sorrows to show me how completely helpless I am without Him, strengthening my dependence upon Him alone. “We were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself … But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.” (2 Cor. 1:8-9)

As long as there is sin, there will be suffering. And whether or not we know the reason behind God letting it in our lives, of this we can be certain; He will never make us suffer alone for, “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart” (Ps. 34:18) Not a single tear we cry goes unnoticed by our Father in heaven, who collects each and every one in His bottle. (Ps. 56:8) And if we let Him, He will be there each step of the way lovingly seeing us through the pain; ready, willing, and able to fill our aching hearts with peace and gladness. So no matter the suffering, trust in His perfect wisdom. Believe in His plans to use all things both good and bad for our benefit. (Rom. 8:28). Have confidence in His purpose for our sorrows and His ability to show His glory through them. And finally, cling to the beautiful promise of God to, “Comfort all who mourn, giving them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting, so they will be called oaks of righteousness.” (Is. 61:3) 


You Might Also Like

0 comments