What is So Precious About Grief? - {Psalm 46}

11:00 AM



Scripture Reading: Psalm 46


As I look around me there seems to be a lot of suffering in the lives of others. My husband and I were remarking recently that our prayer list keeps growing! There are those with incurable cancers being added all the time, those who have lost a child or parent, or spouse.

Then there are those who grieve over what could have been, should have been; mostly wayward children and parents estranged from their children and grandchildren.

Grief comes in so many shapes and sizes. There’s not a “one size fits all” answer to be found! Each of us suffer at times, and each of us will experience grief. Our stories will probably be as different as we are, BUT I have learned we can give thanks in our suffering.

Now hold on, before you go off thinking I’ve lost my mind, I was thinking the same when I first read this by, Octavius Winslow,

God has given us many precious gifts; but I believe, that next to the unspeakable gift of His beloved Son, we shall thank and praise Him the loudest in heaven for the gift of suffering.
 
This statement peeked my curiosity and set me on a journey to find out what is so precious about grief.


My first thought was of Job's answer to his wife,But he said to her, You speak as one of the impious and foolish women would speak. What? Shall we accept [only] good at the hand of God and shall we not accept [also] misfortune and what is of a bad nature? In [spite of] all this, Job did not sin with his lips.” (Job 2:10 AMP)

Perhaps part of our problem is how we generally view suffering and grief.

Paul explained it this way in Philippians 1:29, For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake.

And James tells us we need to, “ Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,  for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

I’ll admit, my first thought has never been to jump for joy when trials arrive. Most of us, I imagine, don’t even care to share about our trials; preferring to hide them away and not have to face them, so I began to wonder about what I tend to do when struggling with grief, and how all of this could be good for us.

The very first place I headed was to the Book of Psalms,

God is our refuge and strength,    a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam,    though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah …. “Be still, and know that I am God.    I will be exalted among the nations,    I will be exalted in the earth!”The Lord of hosts is with us;    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah –Ps 46:1-3,10,11

Here's some of what I found in this short passage: 

Suffering Should Move Us to Run to Jesus!
We cling tighter to Jesus when difficult times come. And while we’re clinging tighter to find solace, our faith is being stretched!

Suffering Grows our Faith!
It helps in our sanctification process to become more like Jesus. I’m sure all of us will admit our trials have made us stronger, and did more to make us the person we are today than all our best days combined!

Finally, Suffering Helps Us to Sympathize with Others!
Some of the best words a person can hear while going through a trial is, “I know exactly how you feel and there’s hope!”

Our sufferings make us sensitive to others when they’re afflicted and if we have already made it through the same trial, we can offer hope and peace in the midst of their trial.  

Nowhere in scripture have we been promised an easy life; in fact just the opposite. We have been told that life will be hard and that our afflictions will be many. Even Jesus warned His disciples before He was arrested, Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)

But He also promised that He would never leave us, or forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5) And that He has a purpose and plan for our life to give us hope for our future. (Jeremiah 29:11). 

The more I studied, the more I believe Mr. Winslow is right; we will one day give thanks the loudest for the gift of suffering.

Blessings,

sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments