Strength Under Control (Psalm 25:9)

12:28 AM


This week we are exploring the attribute of humility. When I think of humility I often think of meekness. Most are familiar with the beatitude “The meek shall inherit the earth.” This teaching of Jesus raised many eyebrows I’m sure for all of history has showcased a perpetual power struggle of man trying to rule the world with harsh force and manipulation. But God is not impressed with earthly successes and power gains. God is interested in our meekness. The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.  Psalm 25:9

Meekness, in our culture, is often seen as a weakness, but in Scripture, it was seen as a strength.  What defines meekness in the Bible?
According to Samuel A. Meier,  we see meekness represented under these circumstances in the Bible: “a conflict in which an individual is unable to control or influence circumstances. Typical human responses in such circumstances include frustration, bitterness, or anger, but the one who is guided by God's spirit accepts God's ability to direct events. Meekness is, therefore, an active and deliberate acceptance of undesirable circumstances that are wisely seen by the individual as only part of a larger picture.”
S. Meier did not see meekness as a weakness, but rather a quality possessed by those of great fortitude and strength: “Meekness does not identify the weak but more precisely the strong who have been placed in a position of weakness where they persevere without giving up.”  

To further understand meekness, let’s look at the Greek origin. Meekness comes from the word “praus”, which has the following meanings.
a. Used to describe a soothing medicine.  b. Used by sailors to describe a gentle breeze. c. Used by farmers to describe a broken colt.
Grady Scott asked the question “What do all these definitions have in common? They all describe great power under control.” He, therefore, concluded that a good working definition of biblical meekness was “ Strength under control.”

Unfortunately, today’s culture sends quite a different message to us and more importantly, to our children. As Steve Shirley points out, “the "world" defines strong people as those who are assertive, take charge, proud, self-sufficient, self-reliant, and independent. A meek person is the opposite of these things, therefore, many people associate meekness with weakness. A meek person is willing to be submissive, is humble and gentle, relies on God and is dependent on Him to provide strength.”
I love her challenge though as she asks the question, “Which of these is REALLY the weaker? If you think it is meekness, try following these attributes for a while, and you will see it is HARD! It is much more difficult to humble yourself and rely on God, than to do everything in your own strength.”

I totally agree. It’s hard to keep my mouth shut when I want to defend myself but I know that God’s spirit is prompting me to be silent. Sometimes, it’s not about me being right but about letting God have control of the situation and letting God work on another person’s heart.
It's hard to endure difficult circumstances, especially if I think that what I’m enduring is unfair. But, when I know that God is asking me to endure, then I also know that he is going to provide me with the strength to do so.  It’s hard to listen to someone’s judgements and criticisms and not harbour bitterness or resentment. But, I know that God forgives me and I must forgive others. Every day, God asks us to walk in meekness and rely on Him. It takes a lot of trust. It takes a lot of patience and waiting on His timing. It takes a lot of denial of self for the sake of the well being of others. But, with that meekness, comes one of the greatest things a Christian can possess…a teachable heart. God teaches me the most when I am focused on Him and not all busy, bothered and anxious as I try to take matters into my own hands. 

Today, I want to encourage you to embrace meekness as strength and ask God to help you have a teachable heart. Ask God to help you endure difficult circumstances in His strength. The world may think that you are weak, but what the world thinks does not matter. What matters, is who you are in God’s eyes. May you find the source of all that you need in Him.

“The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted with a sense of his own inferiority. Rather he may be in his moral life as bold as a lion and as strong as Samson; but he has stopped being fooled about himself. He has accepted God's estimate of his own life. He knows he is as weak and helpless as God declared him to be, but paradoxically, he knows at the same time that he is in the sight of God of more importance than angels. In himself, nothing; in God, everything. That is his motto."  A.W. Tozer


You Might Also Like

0 comments