Humility- What Becomes Of Our Boasting {Romans 3}

1:00 AM


Monday Feb. 25, Humility- Romans 3

While reflecting on writing about humility, the Lord brought to my mind the time He used a simple loving gesture to teach me a powerful life lesson. A couple of years ago a family conversation started about King David. Opinions differed, with strong feelings on all sides. When I noticed that the ones participating didn’t know what God’s Word had to say, I was quick to jump in. I quoted verses, offered my own commentary, and handed out suggestions of picking up their Bibles more often. I was on a roll! I remember riding home that night feeling pretty proud of myself, and I couldn’t wait to boast to my husband. After all didn’t I show everyone that I was the better Christian? Surely my actions impressed God and made me just a little more special in His eyes. 

A short time later a dear friend of mine sent me a random text message full of silly heart and love emojis to which I jokingly replied, “What did I do to earn such affection?” My friend answered, “It’s like grace and mercy, not earned just given.” She went on to say that she hadn’t reached out because of anything I had done, but simply because she loved me. Now little did she know at the time, but boy did her words tear at my heart. The conviction I instantly felt let me know that God was far from impressed with me. Feelings of humility, and sorrow swirled inside as my eyes welled with tears. Filled with shame, I prayed for forgiveness, and for a heart change. A heart that would never again forget that it is only by God’s saving grace that I can be reconciled to Him. A heart that has no room for boasting knowing the Jesus paid my sin debt with His precious blood. And a heart of thankfulness that the same love God offers me, He so generously offers to all. 

Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith.” (vs. 27) The lesson God taught me, was the same lesson Paul was trying to teach in his letter to the Jews in Rome. Feeling an air of superiority for being God’s chosen people, they weren’t thrilled with Paul’s teaching that all, both Jew and Gentile, are equally guilty in the eyes of the Lord; “There is none righteous, not even one.” “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (vs. 10, 23) They scoffed at his declaration of justification through grace alone; not by the works of the Law. And their prideful hearts found it hard to accept that God sent His Son not just to save Israel, but to save the world. 

It’s been said that humility doesn’t mean thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less. And there’s no better example of this than Christ. From start to finish Jesus, in humility and obedience, always put the will of the Father before His own. Never once seeking His own glory, His joy was found in serving God and others. He endured much and sacrificed unto death to give us eternal life. Just like the love of my friend, His grace and mercy not earned, just given. Knowing this, I can honestly say there is nothing in me worth boasting about. And so I continue to  pray for a humble heart, to live for God’s glory, and to remember that love, “does not boast, it is not proud.” (1 Cor. 13:4) 

Do not imagine that if you meet a really humble man he will be what most people call ‘humble’ nowadays: he will not be a sort of greasy, smarmy person, who is always telling you that, of course, he is nobody. Probably all you will think about him is that he seemed a cheerful, intelligent chap who took a real interest in what you said to him. If you do dislike him it will be because you feel a little envious of anyone who seems to enjoy life so easily. He will not be thinking about humility: he will not be thinking about himself at all. If anyone would like to acquire humility, I can, I think, tell him the first step. The first step is to realise that one is proud. And a biggish step, too. At least, nothing whatever can be done before it. If you think you are not conceited, it means you are very conceited indeed.”...C.S. Lewis

To read more about humility click on the following link:


You Might Also Like

0 comments