My Weakness, His Strength (2 Corinthians 12)

9:22 PM


Paul was privileged to have an intense and personal encounter with the risen Christ. Through Paul, the ministry and mission work of Christ spread through large regions. Paul was known and talked about and sought after in those early days of the Church. He was also privileged with grand spiritual revelations.  He could have allowed that to be a source of personal glory and prestige, but He chose instead to find contentment in Christ alone. 
“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.” (v7)
We don’t know exactly what Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” was but we do know that it was something Satan meant to discourage Paul and breed discontent with God and life. Paul, however, chose to embrace a unique perspective on his trial. He asked God multiple times to remove it from his life, but He was also willing to accept that God could use it for a positive purpose: to keep him humble and focused on His dependence on God. 
“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly, therefore, will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (9)
I think that Paul knew the danger of being too self-reliant, self-focused and self-confident. He realized that “weaknesses” were opportunities for Him to be reminded that His true source of strength and value was in Christ. 
No one welcomes difficulties or trials but they are part of life. As a Christian, we can learn to remain content and to find benefit in what we encounter in this life by keeping our focus on God’s Sovereign control. Satan may try to weigh us down and frustrate us but God can strengthen and empower us as we trust our circumstances to Him. 
Realize that there will be ups and downs in this life but endeavour to remain content in your circumstances by focusing on who you are “ in Christ”. Instead of grumbling and becoming bitter or angry about difficult circumstances, try to surrender those circumstances to God’s will, asking Him to use those circumstances for good and for spiritual growth. It is a great test of faith but it was the example of Paul to us who had learned to be content in “all circumstances”. May we, like Paul, become strong!

“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”(10)

You Might Also Like

0 comments