Forgiveness {Daniel 9:1-19}

12:00 AM


Tuesday, February 12, 2019


Last week we looked at being content in the Lord – nothing other than our relationship with God will satisfy us.

Contentment is difficult for many of us and following contentment with forgiveness just seems so appropriate.  You see, God did a number of things when He led me to Daniel 9.  First, He opened my eyes to see my own lack of praying for the forgiveness FOR others (not of others).  We sometimes get wrapped up in wondering how we can help other people, especially when they are stuck in sin. 

Two weeks ago I shared some prayers for when our loved ones are stuck in sin, and I had asked a few friends to pray with me.  Something amazing happened – God answered one of my prayers!

Daniel’s prayer is another fantastic prayer for when we (and others) are stuck in sin.  But for me, this prayer made me realize how I was not content in the Lord.  Not only was God using this prayer and these to open the eyes of some of my own loved ones, but on me.  Sometimes the truth hurts.  We would rather hear words that soothe, even if they are false.  And when God performs surgery on your own heart, you get to experience just how merciful and forgiving He is, despite our rebellion (v. 9).

Affliction is meant for us to turn to God.  When we face difficult circumstances, we should ask ourselves if God has reason to send judgment.  If we think so, we must urgently seek His forgiveness.  Then we can ask Him to help us through our troubles. 

“The LORD did not hesitate to bring the disaster on us, for the LORD our God is righteous in everything He does; yet we have not obeyed Him.”  (v.14)

Daniel spoke about how God continually tried to bring Israel back to Himself.  Yet even after disaster struck them, they refused to obey Him.  God still uses circumstances, other people, and most importantly, HIS WORD, to bring people back to Him.  What would it take for God to get your attention?  If you are unwilling to accept God’s message, maybe you are trying to avoid making a painful change.

Are you serious?  Is your heart really ready for a transformation?  Because if you truly are, these prayers will cut to the core and remove the stony parts of your own heart. 
God pointed out just how lukewarm I was.  And how I lacked a real desire to be transformed.  He showed me truly how weightless my words are and just how powerful His words are!

God sends help, not because we deserve it, but because He wants to show great mercy.  God could refuse to help us because of our sin and how could we complain?  But when He sends mercy when we deserve punishment, how can we withhold our praise and thanksgiving?

Image result for Daniel 9:9

17 “Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary. 18 Give ear, our God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. 19 Lord, listen! Lord, forgive! Lord, hear and act! For your sake, my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name.”

You Might Also Like

0 comments