When Comparison Matters

4:00 PM



Our Reading: Psalm 73, and Matthew 5:8, John 1:14  


This earthly life is not promised to be good or easy or fair. And certainly, the Bible  informs us that the Christian life has never been promised to be free of heartache, affliction or pain. This is a fallen world and because of that we can become disheartened and discouraged if we lose sight of truth and the perspective of who we are in Christ. Asaph grappled with these issues and I am glad that we have his experiences to learn from. 


I love that he starts this Psalm with a truth that he could use as an anchor. “Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.” Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭1‬ ‭ Life may not be fair and circumstances may drastically alter our earthly fortunes but God’s love and goodness remain unwavering. That should be our constant anchor as well. 

“It is well to make sure of what we do know, for this will be a good anchor-hold for us when we are molested by those mysterious storms which arise from things which we do not understand.” (Spurgeon)


The enemy will try to discourage us and one of his most effective tactics is to make us feel discontent through envy and comparison. Asaph became frustrated when he focused on all the people around him who pursued evil and yet seemed to prosper and have an easier life.

“But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭2‬-‭3‬

In fact, he began to question why it even mattered to try and live a God honoring life.  “Behold, these are the wicked; always at ease, they increase in riches. All in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence.”  Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭12‬-‭13‬ ‭


Fortunately, Asaph did the right thing and sought truth from the counsel of God. This allowed him to take his focus off of his own self centered, narrow perspective and to gain God’s broader, more eternal perspective. Asaph was relieved that he sought truth before passing on his embittered mindset and attitude to others.

“If I had said, "I will speak thus," I would have betrayed the generation of your children. But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end. Truly you set them in slippery places; you make them fall to ruin. How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors!”  Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭15‬-‭19‬ ‭


The attitudes and values we cling to can have a profound impact on our friends, our children, and society at large. Just look at the constant comparisons, the scramble to be in the spotlight and the unattainable beauty standards of our modern day social media influencers. It’s becoming harder to find true Christian values being taught and respected. Asaph almost lost sight of what really mattered and so can each of us if we are not careful. 


God wants us to be grounded in our hope and trust in Him. He wants us to realize  that this earthly life is important because of the mark we can leave upon it that honors Him. This life teaches us to draw closer to God and depend on Him. As we buried my sister in law just before Christmas, I reflected on her life. She suffered with Stage 4 breast cancer for 6 years but her faith and testimony for God touched so many lives. Her strength astounded me and it encouraged me because it came from walking close to God in the midst of her trials. Her life was far from a fairy tale life, but it was a beautiful life because it glorified and honored Him.


Asaph realized the true value of his life as well. He turned away from the false narrative of the enemy and embraced the truth of God. “You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭24‬-‭26‬ ‭


Here is an important truth for us to grasp. Every life will end. All beauty will fade. All material gain as well as fame can only be temporary. We are not put on this earth to live a life of glamour or fame, or to have luxury and ease. We are put on this earth to live a life that glorifies God no matter what our unique circumstances may be. The only comparison that matters is this: The eternal condition of our heart and our destiny beyond this fleeting life.

“For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you. But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.” Psalm‬ ‭73‬:‭27‬-‭28‬

You Might Also Like

0 comments