The Blessing of Being a Friend (3 John)

11:30 AM




Strangers are friends you have yet to meet. ~Anonymous


Have you known the blessing of a genuine, loving , Christian friend? John had such a friend. His name was Gaius and the short book of 3 John is actually a letter he sent to this treasured friend. In this letter, he commends him for reaching out to others and including them. “Dear friend, you are faithful in what you are doing for the brothers and sisters, even though they are strangers to you.” (v5). 


I remember 5 years ago when I moved to NC. It was a very hard transition for me. I was lonely, grieving what I left ( family, coworkers, friends) and I was unsure of what my future would hold in a new place. My husband and I decided to visit a local church. This church was much bigger than what we were used to and I remember feeling like I was lost in the bigness and overwhelmed by so many unfamiliar sights, sounds, and faces. And then, I met Holly. 


Holly wasn’t just a person giving me a quick greeting and then not a second thought.  No, from the first moment she saw me, Holly was intent on being my friend. She got to know me and she also introduced me to other women, who took me under their wing and included me in a bible study out of one of their homes. In a time of deep personal struggle, God surrounded me with the love of genuine sisters in Christ. And, I also had the women of this ministry, praying for me, emailing me, calling me, and encouraging me. 


Reaching out to others with the genuine love of Christ is powerful stuff. God wants to use the bonds we form with each other to deepen our spiritual growth and transformation.  The value of friendship is found throughout God’s Word.


“Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.”Proverbs‬ ‭27:9‬ ‭


“Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.”  Romans‬ ‭12:10-13‬ 


“How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!” Psalms‬ ‭133:1‬ 


Unfortunately, within the same body of fellowship that we find Gaius, there was a man named Diotrephes who did not want to welcome new believers. John described him as one who “loves to be first”. The love of God is not focused on self but others. It involves leaving our comfort zone to recognize and intentionally seek to minister to others. Christian love is not exclusive  but inclusive. We have to be careful to not form   social “clicks” that push others away. That’s what Diotrephes was doing.  “....he even refuses to welcome other believers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church.” (v10)


Oh, dear sisters in Christ, I pray that we will be like Gaius and not Diotrephes. May we  have a great burning passion to recognize that all around us are people who have needs. We are the ambassadors of Christ to a broken, needy world. From our willingness to reach out to others, God can minister His love, compassion and understanding. If making friends with others is not easy, don’t be disheartened. God can bring the right person, the right moment, the right opportunity your way. Just be willing when that nudge from Him comes and remember... Strangers are friends you have yet to meet. 


God bless you my wonderful friends! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments