Overcomer {1 John 5}

11:00 AM

 October 20, 2020

 1 John 5

 How many of you like Mandisa’s song “Overcomer?”  I have been sharing about a difficult situation I have been in and for some reason this song never entered my mind until this epistle. 

Overcomers are followers of Christ who successfully resist the power and temptation of the world’s system.  Whew!  And how do we do that?  An overcomer is not sinless – but holds fast to faith in Christ until the end.  She does not turn away when times get difficult.  Overcoming requires complete dependence upon God for direction, fulfillment, and strength to follow His plan for our lives.

 


When we recognize that the Bible teaches us that the world is a battleground, not a playground, we come to realize God does not leave us defenseless.

Strong’s concordance shows us that the Greek word most often translated “overcomer” stems from the work nike, which means “to carry off the victory”.  The verb implies battle. 

Ephesians 6:11-17 describes the armor of the Lord available to all believers.  Throughout this scripture passage is the admonition to “stand firm”.  Sometimes all it takes to overcome temptation is to stand firm and refuse to be dragged into it.

James 4:7 says, “Resist the devil and he will flee from you.”  An overcomer is someone who resists sin no matter what lures Satan uses.

Paul reminds us in Romans 8:35-39 of the power believers have through the Holy Spirit 

Overcoming is often equated with enduring.  Jesus encouraged those who follow Him to “endure to the end” (Matthew 24:13)

 Ladies, we have to endure through the trials, but we have the power of the Holy Spirit.  And we overcome when we cling to Christ, no matter the cost (Hebrews 3:14).  Jesus warned that holding fast to Him would not be easy, but it would be worth it.

 I have to admit, I have never walked through a corn maze.  I am a little afraid and as a teenager, I watched or heard about enough horror movies with mazes, that I just cannot bring myself to actually walk through one as an adult.  But, I picture how I felt eight years ago when my husband fell from a tree, and everyone could not believe my calmness.  My immediate response was, “I trust you Jesus”.  I felt completely and utterly held by Jesus in those first few hours of chaos.

Life can be a bit like a corn maze with a lot of twists and turns and shocking and frightening obstacles, but when we cling to Jesus, He makes a way and we have the guarantee of Jesus, that if we are His, we will be able to endure to the end and His reward will make it all worthwhile.

 In the 2nd chapter of the book of Revelation, Jesus promises a great reward to those who overcome.  Overcomers are promised that they will eat from the Tree of Life (2:7), be unharmed by the second death (2:11), eat from hidden manna and be given a new name (2:17), and have authority over the nations (2:26).  Jesus warned us that holding fast to Him would not be easy, but would be worth it.  In Mark 13:13, He says “you will be hated by all for my name’s sake.  But the one who endures to the end will be saved.”  We have the guarantee of Jesus that, if we are His, we will be able to endure to the end and His rewards will make it all worthwhile.

For your listening pleasure:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v24tLxsxGHM


You Might Also Like

0 comments