Looking Beyond Fault to See True Need (John 8)

11:30 AM




Reading For Today:  John 8


 I love many of the quotes from Toby Mac on fb. This one especially resonated with my heart as I reflected on the story of the accused adulterer in John 8.   “To love a person is to see all of their worth and to remind them of it when they have forgotten.”


In this well known story, Jesus is teaching in the temple courts and he is put in a tricky situation. “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?”” (v3-5)


Well, the first thing interesting is that only the woman was brought before Jesus and not the man. The 2nd interesting thing is that Jesus initially didn’t say anything at all. He wrote on the ground with his finger. The Bible doesn’t tell us what he wrote but I imagine that it could have been thought provoking. Perhaps it caused those present to check their behaviors and self reflect. Perhaps, even, he was just making a point of not immediately engaging with them to deescalate the  charged emotions of the crowd. But, what is important to know and reflect upon, is what he did say. It was a penetrating statement that took focus off of the woman’s circumstances and put focus on the individual circumstances of every single person present that day. 


“When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”” (v7)

One by one, her accusers walked away. When only the woman was left Jesus let her know that she was forgiven and did not have to be forever defined by her transgressions. She could start anew. ““...neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”” (v11)


People don’t throw physical stones today. But, we throw stones nonetheless. We can be quick to pass judgement and hurl accusations at one another. We gossip, backbite and condemn. Perhaps we do so out loud or perhaps we do so within our own minds. But, what if, instead of seeing the sinful behaviors, we looked instead at the value and worthiness of the person that God could redeem and transform. What if we offered grace, just as God offered to us. What if we remembered that we are guilty of sin and only redeemed by God’s mercy and salvation? What if we prayed for that person and rebuked, if needed, in brotherly and sisterly love. What if we extended support and help to those who just need some compassion and opportunity to turn their lives around.? 


I know that I need to remember, when I am annoyed and finding fault with those around me that I need to extend compassion and grace instead of hurling stones of condemnation. I need to remember that only God can change another and I should pray and support instead of criticize or judge. I need to see people through the eyes of Jesus and hate the sin but love the person. I need to remember that I am no different myself from the accused woman for “ all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). How grateful I am that Christ extended the same precious blessing to me as he looked upon the sin that enslaved me....”


“...neither do I condemn you.  Go now and leave your life of sin.” Thank you Jesus for your mercy, extended to me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments