The Choice of Contentment {1 Timothy 6}

12:00 AM

The Choice of Contentment {1 Timothy 6}


An old Indian proverb says, "a harvest of peace grows from seeds of contentment"  A wonderful but difficult sentiment in a world that constantly bombards us with images of how we should look and what we should have in order to be happy and successful. Discontentment is one of Satan's most powerful tools of the trade. He loves for our focus to be on what we don't have instead of all that we do. And although contentment isn't something that just happens, we can make the choice to be just like Paul to be satisfied and grateful in any and every situation. So what's the secret of being content? One of my favorite teachers, Dr. Michael Rydelnik gives us five ways to overcome always wanting more. These include perspective, comparison, rejoicing, remembrance, and release.

1. "Refocus our perspective"- I have a terrible habit of being an impulse shopper. If something catches my eye the immediate thought of, "Oh, I need that!" pops into my head. But do I really? If I'm honest with my self, more often than not the answer is no. Even though a cute pair of shoes might give me immediate joy, the joy fades when I see them sitting in my closet still not worn and wondering why I bought them in the first place. Although every purchase we make doesn't always have to be a necessity, our greatest focus shouldn't be on our wants. Paul reiterates this by saying, "For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." (vs. 7-8)

2. "Resist comparison to others"- Comparison is a dangerous trap to fall into, and one that I myself am often guilty of. When I begin comparing myself to others, (who they are or what they have), I find myself feeling less than, defeated, and envious. Envy is a destructive emotion. It turns into a pity party for one and makes us prideful and covetous. It keeps us from being thankful for all that God has blessed us with, and leads to competing with others to be the best. But that's not God wants. He wants us to complete each other, not compete with each other. And James 3:16 warns us, "Where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing."

3. "Rejoice in God's Gifts"- I love baking and crafting. Often the gifts I give are homemade and from the heart. Nothing is more disappointing than excitedly waiting for someone to open a gift that I put my time, energy, and love into just to see it tossed to the side and unappreciated. That kind of disappointment is what God feels when we fail to rejoice in all that He gives us. Every gift He gives comes from His love for us, and His promise to supply all of our needs. In return our hearts should be overflowing with gratitude and appreciation. Eccles. 5:19 reminds us, "Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work; this is a gift of God."

4. "Remember what we deserve"- Humility is stressed throughout the Bible, and a quality I try to impress upon my son. But often, as children have a tendency to do, he becomes a beacon of truth, reminding me that I don't always practice what I preach. And he's right. If I'm not paying attention, I find my ego getting in the way. I think I deserve more and better than what I have. But the truth is, what I really deserve is God's judgement. Yet because of His amazing grace, "He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him." (Psalm 103:10-11)

5. "Releasing our money and possessions to others"- God blesses us financially and spiritually not only for our benefit, but so that we can in turn use those gifts to bless others. Paul writes of the rich in verse 18, "Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share." Generous giving allows us to be content with what we have and strengthens us against falling into the sin of greed. For we are warned in verse 9 that, "Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." 

God calls His people to lead lives of contentment. Although not easy, it is possible. And when you choose to be content, you gain a peace and freedom that allows you to enjoy all that God has given you more than you miss what He hasn't.

You Might Also Like

0 comments