Partners in The Transformation Business {Titus 3}

9:00 PM

Have you watched the shows on HGTV where couples take a homes that needs major work done to them and transform them into showplaces any of us would love? I’m a sucker for those before and after photos. I’d love to be able to transform something that no one would want, into something desirable to all! I thought of this while reading this chapter and realized once more that, that is EXACTLY what God did for each of us who walk with Him:

For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, despicable, hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit. This Spirit he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:3-7

I grew up a “people pleaser”, who was always worried about what others might think, and never felt I quite measured up to others expectations!  That is, until I realized that God had already settled this issue of acceptance long ago through His Son: Jesus … made us acceptable to God” (Titus 3:7 CEV). What Jesus did on the cross made each of us completely acceptable to God — no matter if we're a “fixer-upper” or not; each of us have been made precious in His sight, for "God made Him [Jesus] who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God."
(That’s a treasure to hold onto and share for sure!!)

But this passage begins with “For we ourselves were once...” which means there’s a reason why Paul decided to remind us of this truth. We’ll need to back up to the beginning of Titus 3, “Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good. They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.” Titus 3:1-2

Wow! It sure seems like people could use this reminder today, don’t you think? Which is why I believe gentleness and humility were a great witness to unbelievers then and still are today. People are watching us all the time to see if we’re any different then they are.

If we claim to follow Jesus, we’re not permitted to speak evil of anyone. Any.one! Nor are we allowed to be quarrelsome, but instead we need to be gentle, and demonstrate true humility to everyone, even those we strongly disagree with! Those of different,
  • Political views
  • Faiths
  • Skin color
  • Ethnic backgrounds, etc.

I’ve come to realize over the years that we cannot win our enemies to Christ, therefore we’ve GOT TO TURN them into friends! If they can find anything to hold against us, that might just keep them from coming to Jesus!
Paul knew most people are going to look to us and our lives to see if the Bible is credible. Are we genuine? Are we gentle, loving and compassionate? If they like what they see, they just might listen to what we say.

My husband and I volunteer with World Relief, which is a Christian organization that helps resettle refugees from war-torn countries here in the United States. The family we are currently working with is originally from Syria. They arrived in February of this year in wheelchairs needing medical care. They have been through so much and continue to struggle everyday. I work mostly with the wife/mother. She seems to practice and follow her Muslim faith faithfully and can speak English only a tiny bit better than I speak Arabic, which is none at all, yet we’ve grown to love one another like sisters!

I’ve come to realize there is a common language we both share, that I’m not sure what to call. We speak from the heart and understand completely; both being women, wives, mothers and grandmothers. I believe because language is a barrier our other senses are heightened, especially observation. I know as much about the Muslim faith as she knows about my faith in Jesus, yet they are attending our Sunday School class to find out more. We are actually studying the Book of Genesis; writing our own lessons and then having them translated into Arabic, so that they can follow along. I’m certain people in both faiths would tell us we’re crazy for doing so, but so far it’s working and I pray one day she and I will truly be sisters in Christ. Something, I don’t believe would have ever happened if I hadn’t started loving her first. 
If you would pray for her and her family, I promise I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Everyone!
I never know where the Lord will take me when I sit down to write! I had not planned to share about our family we are working with through World Relief this week, but if you'd like to hear more, I'd like to personally invite you to join me and a wonderful, eclectic group of women from all over the world on a Facebook site we call, Women in the Word . We are currently traveling through the entire New Testament - one chapter a day! It has been such an incredibly journey which we want to share with you! 

So, if you've ever wanted to know more of what God's Word has to say about everything, and meet and make new friends from all over the world, come join us by clicking on this link . 
There will always be someone there to welcome you! Oh! And please feel free to invite others!
God bless you,
sue 

You Might Also Like

0 comments