The Other Helper {Hebrews 4}

12:00 AM


Monday April 1


Never once are we told that the life of a Christian will be easy. In fact God says just the opposite. “All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” (2 Tim. 3:12) Although it might be discouraging to hear that troubles will indeed come our way, Paul tells us it will all be worth it in the end saying, “the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.” (Rom. 8:18). And until that glorious day when He calls us home, God promises to help us every step of the way. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Is. 41:10) 

Many are the ways and forms in which God sends us help, and one of the most powerful is His Word. Not only does the Bible contain the history of creation, the Good News of Jesus Christ, and the wonderful promises of God, it is also a blueprint for life, giving us valuable advice and practical applications for any and all situations. The writer of Hebrews describes the Word of God as, “living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul, and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (vs. 12) But what exactly does that mean?

Living-The Bible is the inspired Word given to us by our living God. It contains both the power of life and the power of transformation. Written centuries before, it is still relevant today and able to guide, counsel, comfort, and empower all who read it. 2 Timothy 3:16 tells us, “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.”

Active-The Word of God is not just profitable, but purposeful. It is intended to do things. Not only to make us more like Jesus, or a way in which God ministers to us, but also to achieve whatever God sends it to do. In Isaiah 55:11 God tells us , “My word which goes forth from My mouth; it will not return to me empty without accomplishing what I desire and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” The Bible contains the power of God Himself and as such can create, destroy, or sustain all who hear and believe its message.

Sharp and Piercing-The Word of God, like a sword, is sharp enough to slice through our souls and spirits, piercing our hearts down to our innermost self. It is able to penetrate any stronghold, and has the power to not only convict, but to change. For God is the greatest of Surgeons, and uses His Word as a scalpel to cut out malignancies in our souls. As J. B. Lightfoot put it God’s Word, “heals most completely, where it wounds most deeply; and gives life there only, where first it has killed”. 

Able to Judge-The word of God is able to discern every area of our hearts and lives. What we hide from others, cannot be hidden from God. 1 Samuel 16:7 reminds us, “God sees not as a man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” Every thought, every desire, and every sin is known by God. His Word is able to judge our thoughts and intentions, convict us of our sin, and bring to light any darkness within us. And if we let it, it will conform our hearts and minds to be aligned with God’s.

Abraham Lincoln is quoted as saying, “I believe the Bible is the best book God has ever given to man. All the good of the Savior of the world is communicated to us through the Book”, and I couldn’t agree more. No matter what I’m going through, it is there. It is the first place I turn to when I am afraid, when I am weary, when I am lost, when I am happy, and most of all, when I want to be close to God. It fills me with joy, nurtures my soul, heals my wounds, and protects me from the Enemy’s attacks. As the psalmist says, “Your Word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.” (Ps. 119:105) So the next time you need help, turn to the Bible. More than just a book, it is God’s life preserver to all and instruction manual for life!


You Might Also Like

0 comments