Crucify Him! {Matthew 27}

1:00 AM




Monday April 22


The word passion comes from the Latin root word, “pati” which means to endure, or to suffer. A most fitting word to describe the last days of Jesus from the Garden of Gethsemane to His Crucifixion. In this short amount of time, (called the Passion of Christ), Jesus suffered like no other. He endured grief, betrayal, abandonment, arrest, trial, mocking, beatings, and being nailed to a Cross of wood. He did so obediently, willingly, and lovingly. He did it for you, and for me. And when I reflect on the enormity of the sacrifice of the Messiah, I am forever awed, humbled, and thankful. But beyond that it makes me ask myself, “Am I as passionate for Jesus as Jesus is for me? In love and gratitude do I walk as He teaches, and follow His example?”

The grief and anguish Jesus experienced in the garden was beyond measure. The full weight of the burden of sin He was about to bear was upon Him. His soul was, “deeply grieved, to the point of death.” (Matt. 26:38) Yet even knowing all He was going to endure, Christ still walked in perfect obedience to God saying, “Your will be done.” (Matt. 26:42) During my times of sorrow do the tears of my Savior motivate my heart to trust completely in God and despite the pain put His will above my own?

Betrayed, falsely arrested, and tortured, the Lord was made to stand before a crowd who mere days ago were joyful at His coming yet who now shouted, “Crucify Him!” (vs. 27:22) The sadness of Jesus’ heart must have been overwhelming. And even though at any time He could have proven that He was indeed the Son of God and made His accusers fall at His knees, He remained silent not answering even a “single charge” (vs. 27:14) When persecution strikes, and my enemies surround me do I cry out for retribution, or does the silent suffering Jesus endured keep my tongue still and my eyes on God? 

Hanging from a Cross, nails in His hands and feet, with a crown of thorns upon His head, the physical pain Jesus experienced was excruciating. For six hours He hung in pure agony crying out, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” (vs. 27:46) before finally “yielding up His spirit”.  If He so chose, Jesus could have gotten down from that Cross and saved Himself. He could have ended His torment and walked away from His tormentors. Instead He humbled Himself, sacrificed Himself, and shed His precious blood to give us life. To honor His precious offering, when I give to others am I doing it out of a sense of obligation or do I give joyfully, wholeheartedly, and most importantly, sacrificially?

Jesus has it all. Sitting on His glorious throne at the right hand of the Father, He is Lord of lords, King of kings. He wants for nothing, nor needs anything we could possibly give. We are but dust before Him, and yet our Lord, the Creator of the universe, suffered unimaginable horrors to call us His own. He gave up everything, to give us everything. And as another Easter passes and the celebrations end, I pray that my heart remains overflowing with as much love and thankfulness every day as it is on Resurrection day. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments