The Passion of His Empathy (John 11)

3:41 AM


We know the story of Lazarus well and it is by far one of the most astounding miracles that Jesus performed. Who wouldn’t be amazed at a dead man being raised to life again.  But, the miracle is not why I turn to this story so often to build my faith. I turn to it to remind me of the compassion Jesus has for my experiences on this earth.  Here are some of the things that I take to heart when I think about the events that unfolded. 

  • 1. Just because I am going through a trial or difficult circumstance, that doesn’t mean that God doesn’t love me. 
  • John tells us that Jesus loved Lazarus and his sisters, Mary and Martha. (5) And yet, they were not spared the challenges of dealing with illness, grief, and heartache. It can be hard sometimes when facing difficult and challenging circumstances to feel like God loves us. Our circumstances may change, but God’s love never does.  

  • 2. I may not know what the future holds, but nothing surprises Jesus. He can foresee the outcome and can purpose it for His glory. So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.” But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”” (3-4) 

  • 3. My sense of urgency about a situation may not fit God’s timetable. There may be a purpose in waiting.  “So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was.” (6)  I must be diligent in my prayers and petitions but I must remember that He is sovereign over all circumstances. It is always best to be patient for prayers to be answered  “ in His time. “  

  • 4. Even though Jesus knows the final outcome and the “big picture”, He empathizes with my lack of understanding and he truly cares about the impact that the circumstances are having on me. It truly amazes me that Jesus was so moved by the weeping and heartache of those mourning the death of Lazarus that he expressed empathetic emotion too. “When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in his spirit and greatly troubled.” (33 )  
  • “Jesus wept.” (35) 

  • 5. No matter how impossible my situation may seem, Jesus has no limitations when it comes to intervening on my behalf. He can turn around any circumstance. Lazarus had been dead 4 days and yet Jesus confidently instructed that the grave stone be rolled away and He called for Lazarus to come out of the burial tomb.   Nothing is impossible for Jesus! He can miraculously orchestrate the events of my life. I just need to stand back and let Him work.  

What a truly amazing God we serve!  Jesus tells us that if we have seen Him, then we have seen the Father. This one story alone reveals to us the beauty of Christ’s passion for us.......... He serves us with love and compassion as our Great Physician, counselor, healer, miracle worker, and friend! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments