The Suffering Servant (Isaiah 49-52:12)

4:08 AM



Isaiah holds some important prophecies that refer to Jesus as the Messiah. Many scholars teach that “the Suffering Servant” is Jesus Christ. He is the greatest example to us of what it means to serve the Lord with full commitment and passion. 

“Listen to me, O coastlands, and give attention, you peoples from afar. The Lord called me from the womb, from the body of my mother he named my name. He made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow; in his quiver he hid me away (49:1-2)

From the beginning of time, God knew that mankind would become enslaved by sin and desperately need a Savior. With great love and compassion, God would provide a redemptive plan.  Jesus would become the special “ arrow” tucked away in his quiver to be launched at just the right time and with a very intentional purpose. Jesus would not be a valiant war hero physically freeing Israel from Roman captivity and oppression, but He would bring the words of truth that would penetrate the depths of man’s spiritual darkness. 

Because Jesus was God but also human, He would also know human suffering and frustrations.The very people who should have known who He was and received Him with open arms would want Him put to death.  I imagine it could be very difficult and challenging to be so rejected, misunderstood, and despised. 
“But I said, “I have labored in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my right is with the Lord, and my recompense with my God.””(49:4)

As God’s servants, we may also experience highs and lows through our ministry. We may not always think that we are making a difference and we may not always have the approval and support of others. Jesus knew that the mission He was given to do mattered on a grand scale for it impacted eternity and glorified God. We may not always see the immediate fruits of our labors but we must persevere to serve God and seek His approval instead of seeking the approval of man. 
Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:58)

Being a servant is usually not a glamorous calling. It involves sacrifice, discipline, and denial of self.  Sometimes it may also be lonely and isolating. God wants us to know that He is there with us and will not forget us.    “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.” (49:15-16)

It may not always be received well, but we are the messengers to the world of the good news of salvation. Somewhere out there in the world around us are people who need to hear about the love of God and the hope that can be theirs through Jesus. 
 “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.” (52:7)



We are all called to be servants. The Bible is full of amazing examples of what being a servant looks like.  There are many great men and women that we can learn from and be inspired by. Our ultimate example, however, should be “ the suffering servant”, Christ. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments