Jeremiah 46-49 (Be Warned)

3:25 AM



God will not tolerate man’s selfish, evil, and lofty ways. At least not forever. Jeremiah continues to warn of God’s impending judgements.  He foretells of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon being allowed to invade and conquer and of nations being exiled and oppressed.
Just like the story of the Tower of Babel in Genesis, God watches man try to rise up and dominate over others.  He watches man try to be equal to or even more powerful than God himself.
 Egypt rises like the Nile,
    like rivers whose waters surge.
He said, ‘I will rise, I will cover the earth,
    
I will destroy cities and their inhabitants.’ (46:8)

God’s response: No matter how big and plentiful, I can outnumber.  No matter how seemingly invincible, I can overpower.
“She makes a sound like a serpent gliding away;
    for her enemies march in force
and come against her with axes
    like those who fell trees.
 They shall cut down her forest,
declares the Lord,
    though it is impenetrable,
because they are more numerous than locusts;
    they are without number.
 The daughter of Egypt shall be put to shame;
    
she shall be delivered into the hand of a people from the north.” (46:22-24)
God watches man trust in his own efforts and possessions.  God’s response:
Only I can be trusted.  Only I can save you.
He warns Moab:

Flee! Save yourselves!

    You will be like a juniper in the desert!
 For, because you trusted in your works and your treasures,
    
you also shall be taken; (48:6-8)

God watches man be lazy and unproductive, feeling entitled to “just take it easy”.

“Moab has been at ease from his youth
    and has settled on his dregs;
he has not been emptied from vessel to vessel,
    nor has he gone into exile; (48:11)


God’s response: I gave man the purpose of serving one another and glorifying me.
He brings low those who try to exalt themselves

 “Make him drunk, because he magnified himself against the Lord, so that Moab shall wallow in his vomit, and he too shall be held in derision. (48:26)

God watches man become arrogant and proud. 

We have heard of the pride of Moab—

    he is very proud—
of his loftiness, his pride, and his arrogance,
    and the haughtiness of his heart.
 I know his insolence, declares the 
Lord (48:29-30)

 God’s response: I created man to be humble and worship only me.  He causes the proud to stumble and be brought low.

And I will bring to an end in Moab, declares the 
Lord, him who offers sacrifice in the high place and makes offerings to his god . .. Therefore the riches they gained have perished. Moab shall be destroyed and be no longer a people, because he magnified himself against the Lord (48:35)

God watches man boast and trust in earthly treasures.
Why do you boast of your valleys,
    O faithless daughter,
who trusted in her treasures, saying,
    
‘Who will come against me?’ (49:4)
God’s response: I am the only One who should be raised up and exalted. He causes those who lift up themselves to be brought low.

For behold, I will make you small among the nations,

    despised among mankind.
 The horror you inspire has deceived you,
    and the pride of your heart,
you who live in the clefts of the rock,

    who hold the height of the hill.
Though you make your nest as high as the eagle's,
    I will bring you down from there,
declares the Lord
. (49:15-16)

God utilizes his discipline and judgements against man to destroy the evil intentions of man and to humble him because of love that desires reconciliation.  His ultimate plan, is redemption. No matter how far we go, God calls His people back into fellowship with Him.
 “But in the latter days I will restore…

 “But fear not, O Jacob my servant,

    nor be dismayed, O Israel,
for behold, I will save you from far away,
    and your offspring from the land of their captivity.
Jacob shall return and have quiet and ease,
    and none shall make him afraid.
 Fear not, O Jacob my servant,
declares the Lord,
    for I am with you.
I will make a full end of all the nations
    to which I have driven you,
    but of you I will not make a full end. (46:27-28)
                                                                                                  
It seems that there are many nations today who mimic the evil nations of Jeremiah’s day. They are boastful and proud and do not recognize and glorify God. They trust in their own resources and wisdom.  They plot and scheme to become powerful and invincible in earthly terms.  But, God has warned them too.  Eventually, He will act to overcome evil. 

I encourage you to be aware of your own behaviors and motivations.  Do you try to exalt yourself and not God?  Do you try to be self -sufficient?  Do you trust in circumstances, talents or possessions instead of the God of the Universe? God desires our humility and patience as well as our strong faith.  How long will He tolerate our wrong choices and decisions?  When will His hand of discipline bring us off our high places and seek to humble us and reconcile us to Him?
More importantly, will we heed His warnings and obediently yield?







You Might Also Like

0 comments