A Lesson from Rebekah

9:00 AM

 Rebekah's Story is primarily found in Genesis 24- 27

Ever hear the saying, "God helps those who help themselves"? Studying Rebekah's life one might think she may have been the one to coin that phase, but did you know it's not found anywhere in the Bible? That's right! You can't find it anywhere, but people sure like to quote it as if it is! 


Rebekah's life started out so well! In fact, it's one of the most romantic love stories found in the Bible, but she and Isaac didn't go on to live happily ever after unfortunately. 

BUT, before we go too far into her story, let me ask you...

  • Do you ever grow impatient with God?
  • Do you ever feel the need to help God out in a given situation? 
  • Has there been a time when the "mama-bear" raised up within and you felt the overwhelming need to come to the rescue?
If so, then you can definitely identify with what Rebekah is going through in this passage,

"Now Rebekah was listening as Isaac spoke to his son Esau. When Esau left for the open country to hunt game and bring it back, Rebekah said to her son Jacob, “Look, I overheard your father say to your brother Esau, ‘Bring me some game and prepare me some tasty food to eat, so that I may give you my blessing in the presence of the Lord before I die.’ Now, my son, listen carefully and do what I tell you:  Go out to the flock and bring me two choice young goats, so I can prepare some tasty food for your father, just the way he likes it. Then take it to your father to eat, so that he may give you his blessing before he dies."- Genesis 27:5-10

Now hold on, before we go any further, we need to know that long ago before the twins were born, God had already revealed His plan for Rebekah's sons to Rebekah, 

Isaac prayed to the Lord on behalf of his wife, because she was childless. The Lord answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant. The babies jostled each other within her, and she said, “Why is this happening to me?” So she went to inquire of the Lord. The Lord said to her,

 “Two nations are in your womb,

    and two peoples from within you will be separated;

one people will be stronger than the other,

    and the older will serve the younger.”- Genesis 25:21-23

Why would she feel the need to help God at this point when she had known God's plan for her sons all along? 

Ever been there? Even though you know God's word... even though you have faith that God is able, you still feel the need to help Him bring about the ideal circumstances? I have a time ... or two.

The most recent began a few years back when it seemed everyone could see the truth in this particular situation except this other person who had come against me. It was so clear in my mind and everyone else's it seemed, yet this person proceeded to believe the opposite was true. 

Unfortunately, it was also clear early on that nothing anyone could or would say would help change this persons mind and right away, as I went to the Lord for guidance and answers, He gave me the command in Psalm 46:10, 

(I love how this poster amplifies this verse for us)

"Trust Me and be silent". It's been several years since and still nothing has changed this person's mind. For along time I pinned this to my refrigerator so I could be reminded often, for I was tempted at times to take matters into my own hands!  Yet, by God's grace I've remained still and silent; still trusting the God who reigns over all.  

If only Rebekah had gone to the Lord seeking His guidance before she felt the need to take matters into her own hands. 

Charles Spurgeon asked his readers not be too hard on Rebekah for her misguided actions by pointing out, that  though she remembered God’s words to her, she forgot His power. Rebekah also ultimately ended up making a tremendous sacrifice in order to ensure Jacob received Isaac’s blessing, for she never saw Jacob again in her lifetime. Plus we can only imagine how this deception impacted Isaac and Rebekah's relationship moving forward. 

If Rebekah was able, I'm sure she would like us to know that when we take matters into our own hands rather than allowing God be God:

  • We miss the miracles. We miss seeing God's hand move in the situation.
  • We miss the blessings. We miss the chance to grow our faith knowing His ways are not our ways. (Isaiah 5:8-9)
  • We can harm relationships of all those involved 
  • And adversely impact lives and faiths of others. 
Failing to trust and moving forward without God is incredibly risky. So risky, in fact that I pray The Holy Spirit will cause us to stop short, remember Rebekah and turn to Him. 

 Blessings, 

Sue


You Might Also Like

0 comments