A Lesson From Leah

9:00 AM

Leah and Rachel's story is found in
 
Genesis 29 – 31Genesis 33Genesis 35; and Ruth 4:11.


Leah lay there, pulling the blankets up as tight as she could around her neck and shoulders as though they might offer some form of protection to what was coming, for it was almost morning, and soon Laban's charade would come to light. Soon, Jacob would learn the truth; that the deceiver had been deceived. But for just a few minutes more Leah would savor the warmth and misguided affections of her new husband. 

She lay there trying not to think about Jacob's reaction when he saw her homely face instead of Rachel's beautiful one. She didn't want to think about how her heart might shatter into a million pieces at his reaction to this deception. Instead, she would lay here just a few minutes more and pray that Jacob would one day come to love her just as much as he already loved Rachel.

Just then morning dawned and 

"... behold, it was Leah! And Jacob said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Did I not serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?” Genesis 29:25

And so began the heartbreaking marriage of Jacob and Leah. 

"For Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah." Genesis 29:30

Can you relate to Leah in some way?  I mentioned previously in writing about Hagar that I tend to root for the underdogs, perhaps because I have found myself in second place, overlooked, last pick and alone a time or two. 

Leah may never have felt loved by another in her lifetime, for what kind of father would cast off his oldest daughter to a man he knew loved another unless he wanted to be rid of her too, or thought there was no hope of another marriage for her?

And I'll admit, I've often wondered why Leah would have gone along with this charade unless she too felt she was left with no better choice. Can you imagine believing that marrying a man who is in love with your sister, is your best option moving forward?

Fortunately, feelings are not always a good judge of the realities around us. In Leah’s case, as well as ours, she IS very much loved and actually favored by God. God was looking down on the whole situation and took action;

"When the Lord saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. And Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called is name Reuben, for she said, “Because the Lord has looked upon my affliction; for now my husband will love me.” She conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Because the Lord has heard that I am hated, he has given me this son also.” And she called his name Simeon. Again she conceived and bore a son, and said, “Now this time my husband will be attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore his name was called Levi. Genesis 29:31-34

Did you catch Leah's longing when naming her third son, Levi? "Now this time my husband will be attached to me, because I have borne him three sons."

Still longing for Jacob's love. But I want you to take note that through all these years of heartbreak, God was right there walking with her, granting her one blessing after another and the same is true for all of us! He has promised to never leave us, or forsake us, (Hebrews 13:5) no matter how desperate and lonely we feel. 

The Bible is full of precious promises of God's love and faithfulness to each of us! This just happens to be one of my favorites:



And sometime between the birth of Leah's third son and forth, I believe Leah figured this out, for when Leah bore her fourth son, her heart’s focus shifted from trying to earn the affections of her husband, to praising the God who had comforted her through these years,

"And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “This time I will praise the Lord.” Therefore she called his name Judah. Genesis 29:35 (emphasis added)


At this moment she became part of the linage of the promised Messiah (Matthew 1:2-3) But God didn't stop there! Leah went onto be the mother of six sons and one daughter in all and upon her death she was laid to rest next to her husband whose name had now been changed by God to Israel. 

Blessings,

Sue

You Might Also Like

0 comments