The Past is Past - Jesus Makes All Things New

12:00 AM

  


Hi Girls!

I hope you have been enjoying this study as much as I have. I've read about each of these woman before while moving through the Bible, but I never stopped to truly study the impact each of them had on those around them and all of history. 

Mary of Magdalene is a perfect example of this. I'm in such awe of her and the legacy she has left behind for all of us, but before we look into her legacy I wanted to just briefly touch upon the highlights of her life that are mentioned in the Bible just so we don't miss out on anything:

  • Mary Magdalene was delivered by Jesus from seven demons. "...and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out" (Luke 8:2)
  • Mary Magdalene financially supported Jesus’ ministry. Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others were helping to support them out of their own means. (Luke 8:3)
  •  Mary Magdalene witnessed the crucifixion and burial of Jesus. Many women were there, watching from a distance. They had followed Jesus from Galilee to care for his needs. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of Zebedee’s sons.  (Matthew 27:55-56). *Interesting note that I don't want you to miss is the order in which the women are listed and how Mary, the mother of Jesus is referenced. Mary Magdalene is listed before Mary the mother of James and Joseph (Jesus' half brothers). In Jewish writings the one of more prominence is generally listed first.
  •  Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and reported it empty. Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. 2 So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!” (John 20:1-2)
  •  Mary Magdalene saw two angels in the tomb and spoke with them. Now Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb  and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.  They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?” “They have taken my Lord away,” she said, “and I don’t know where they have put him.”  (John 20:11-13)
  • Mary Magdalene was the first person (man or woman) to see Jesus after His resurrection. Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”). Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her. (John 20:16-18)
  •  Mary Magdalene was the one who delivered Jesus' message back to the disciples. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.” (Matthew 28:10)

I've found at least four great lessons from her life that have rocked my world and I hope her life legacy will have an impact on yours as well. I've listed them here in no particular order: 

First, Mary Magdalene life demonstrates that Jesus should be the center of our life. She depicts for us what one woman can do for the One who has done so much for her. Once Mary was healed, she immediately began to practice her faith by following Jesus and ministering to Him and His disciples from her substance and was there to the end; witnessing to His death and Resurrection to others. 

Second, Gratitude should be our driving force as to why we follow Jesus and serve Him and others. I believe Mary Magdalene felt she owed Jesus her very life, but don't we all?  Mary never forgot how much she owed to Jesus.

Third, Mary Magdalene's life demonstrates how very much Jesus elevated the role of women. We don’t know much about Mary Magdalene’s life before demons were cast out of her. But we can read in other areas and know how demon possessed people were treated. We also know that women were treated as second class citizens. I can't say for sure, but I feel as though she must have experienced some kind of shame from being possessed, but none of this stopped Jesus from healing her and allowed her to have a part in His ministry. 

Finally, Mary Magdalene is a wonderful example that our past is past. When I think of Mary Magdalene's life I immediately think of what Paul said in 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Anyone who belongs to Christ is a NEW person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!". 

All of us are given a second chance, a fresh start, the past is past and a whole new life has begun! This to me is my greatest takeaway from her life. BUT, I'm sure there's much more to her legacy and if you have discovered more, I hope you will share it with us on Women in the Word. 

Blessings, 

sue 


You Might Also Like

0 comments