When Things Don't Go as Planned! {Acts 18}

10:00 AM

Today's Scripture: Acts 18


Has God ever called you to do something for Him? Anything! It could be working the nursery, or teaching Sunday School. Perhaps He's called you into full time ministry, or to begin a new ministry!

If so, some of you may have been thrilled at the time and some of you may have reacted more like Moses (Exodus 3-4) Gideon, Jonah ...(there's more) and me; who required more persuading. BUT the important thing IS -- we all came around to seeing things God's way...eventually.  
That is of course, until things don't seem to go how we believed they would or should have! Here's a perfect example that took place at the beginning of Paul's ministry in Acts 18:6-11,
"When they opposed and reviled him, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” And he left there and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a worshiper of God. His house was next door to the synagogue.  Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord, together with his entire household. And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.  And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent,  for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.”  And he stayed a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them."
I'm sure Paul believed that all would openly welcome him and thank him profusely for coming and enlightening them into the Truths of Gospel, and then they'd all beg him to sit down and teach them until they were all great biblical scholars!

Don't we tend to do the same? I know I do! If I'm going to sacrifice my time and talents the very least they can do is appreciate all I've done for them! Right? I mean, right? Don't we as wives and moms feel that way? They better thank me up and down and offer to clean up the kitchen for me after I've slaved over the meatloaf!

The truth is however, if we are looking for recognition and even gratitude from the world we are setting ourselves up to be disappointed. I've had to learn this over and over again in the school called, LIFE.

Paul described this time in more detail in his first letter to the church in Corinth:
As for myself, brethren, when I came to you, I did not come proclaiming to you the testimony and evidence or mystery and secret of God in lofty words of eloquence or human philosophy and wisdom; For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified. And I was in (passed into a state of) weakness and fear (dread) and great trembling [after I had come] among you." (1 Corinthians 2:1-3 emphasis mine) 
The Lord first showed me this passage long ago when He called me to lead women Bible studies, for that is the LAST thing I ever intended to do... EVER! It took six weeks for Him to convince me that I hadn't heard Him incorrectly, and that He definitely intended to use me in such a way. I took incredible comfort in knowing that both Moses (Ex. 3) and Paul were also frightened at one time, yet went on to allow God to use them in amazing ways. It was then that I surrendered to His will for me.

Only, over the years of ministry, I've been hit with waves of disappointments. Mostly because circumstances hadn't turned out the way I thought they would; women failed to show up, others failed in doing what they had committed to do, some even fought against me a time or two. And there were times I, like Paul was ready to "shake out my garments" and be done with them and the ministry! That's when the Lord would come and have to remind me again just Who I was ultimately serving.

Paul also goes on to to explain to the Corinthians what I sometimes need to be reminded about myself,
And my language and my message were not set forth in persuasive (enticing and plausible) words of wisdom, but they were in demonstration of the [Holy] Spirit and power [a proof by the Spirit and power of God, operating on me and stirring in the minds of my hearers the most holy emotions and thus persuading them], So that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." - (1 Corinthians 2:4-5 emphasis mine)
He is the One in charge, not I, and all the Lord requires of me is to be a willing vessel; emptied out so that He can come in and take charge!
Blessings,
Sue 

You Might Also Like

0 comments