A Child of God (Galatians 4)

12:30 PM



 For Thursday, March 12: Galatians 4

“But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.” (4:4-5)

When I read these verses, I think about an orphanage where little children wait expectantly for their circumstances to change. Although they are provided food, water, shelter and clothing, they long for more. They want to be chosen, they want to feel valued, considered love worthy, and to be given a life with a special family. They dream about and long for their “adoption day”!  
Being “under the Law” was similar to being in an orphanage, waiting expectantly for the One who would be our Messiah to come and save us from our current circumstances. That Messiah would be Jesus, sent by God, because He wanted to choose us and give us the special love and acceptance we dreamed of and longed for. 
The Law was a reminder that man was alone and separated from God by sin. There was no way that man could change that situation. He couldn’t earn his acceptance. He couldn’t change who he was. But, He didn’t have to. God, decided to extend his love and acceptance and adopt man, calling him a son, and giving him everything his own son had been given. 

“ And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.” (4:6-7)

What an amazing privilege to be called “ a child of God”. We get to have a personal relationship with God. It’s so personal that we get to call him “Abba” which is the same as “ Father”, or “ Daddy”. It’s so personal that His very Spirit indwells our hearts to empower us, teach us, and communicate His Will and desires for us. And that’s not all for we are also given an inheritance. This inheritance means we have eternal blessing and privilege. There is no greater gift that we could be granted than to spend eternity basking in the love and acceptance of our Heavenly Father. 

Are you still stuck in the orphanage of separation and loneliness, longing for something more? Have you had the joy of an “ Adoption Day” and the privilege of being accepted by God into the family of spiritual believers. And, if you are a “child of God”, are you valuing and cherishing the intimacy of that Father- child relationship He wants to have with you? 


Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh His love for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

Free at last He has ransomed me
His grace runs deep
While I was a slave to sin
Jesus died for me
Yes He died for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

I am chosen, not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me, not against me
I am who You say I am
I am chosen, not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me, not against me
I am who You say I am
I am who You say I am


You Might Also Like

0 comments