Never Say Never {Luke 22}

12:00 PM



February 4, 2020

 Image result for the last supper

Luke 12 and 17 were rather powerful for me to study and write about.  But Luke 22 – has made me examine my own motives and discover what my own betrayal looks like.

Right away in chapter 22 we are reminded of how awful it would be to be Judas.  Yet, we are more like him than you may realize.  In fact, I’ll share what our own betrayal may look like.

We assume that Judas was with Jesus for the three years of His ministry.  Judas listened and saw all the healings.  He saw people raised from the dead.  But he still had a different idea of what the Messiah was.  He had his own expectations.  His view looked differently than what Jesus was teaching them. 

Now, we know the whole story and we often say, “I would never!”  But do you truly know who the enemy is?  Do you know how easy it is to betray Jesus?  It’s very humbling to see how easy it is.  Perhaps you’ve built a tower in a pit and you’re completely blind to it.  Jeremiah 17:9 says “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.  Who can understand it?” 

How often have you heard about someone who has fallen into a state of sin and you wonder, ‘how could they allow themselves to get here in the first place?’  When I attempt to identify my own areas of vulnerability, my pits, I’m shortsighted because I gravitate toward the areas which I clearly see as my weaknesses.

*I’m really impatient
*I like to plan for the future – I’m detailed oriented
*I have a lot of expectations

My weaknesses are rotten, and I recognize them, but rarely do I look to the area where, as a believer, I am most likely to stumble.  I fail to see the pit of my strength.

I read about this Chinese proverb, “An unguarded strength is a double weakness.”  Here’s a few biblical examples – people whose perceived area of strength was actually the area in which they fell.  Just think about these for a minute!

·        * Abraham’s great strength was obedience.  Where did he fail?  Obedience (Gen. 12:13, 16:2)
·         *Noah’s great attribute was discipline.  Where did he fail?  Discipline (Gen. 9:21).
·         *Isaac’s great asset was truth-telling.  Where did he fail?  Truth-telling (Gen. 23:7).
·         *Moses’ great strength was meekness.  Where did he fail?  Meekness (Num. 20:10-12)
·         *David’s great character trait was integrity.  Where did he fail?  Integrity (2 Sam 11:3-27).
·       *  Elijah’s great attribute was faith?  Where did he fall?  Faith (1 Kings 19:3-13).
·        * Uzziah’s great strength was adherence to God’s Word.  Where did he fall?  Adherence to God’s Word (2 Chron. 26:16-21)
·        * Peter’s great asset was courage.  Where did he fall?  Yep!  Courage (Luke 22:34-62).

All these cases from Scripture are clear.  You could re-read this entire post, or just open any news media outlet and see how people in our culture have built their towers in pits. 

I’ll tell you what gets to me is reading, “Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you are talking about!”  Just as he was speaking the rooster crowed.  The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.  (60-61) Oh, how many times have I betrayed the One I love, and He’s turned and looked straight in my face! 
 Image result for jesus looks at peter after denial

Is it when you’ve reached out to the best Christian self-help book or blog post to help you overcome your weaknesses?  Maybe what we should be looking for is help in our natural strength tendencies.

·         The inclination to be relational.
·         The ability to multi-task.
·         The innate desire to nurture.
·         Momma-bear love for our children.
·         The desire to be attractive to our husbands or potential husbands.

Yet when we look at that list, it doesn’t take long to see how any one of those strengths can become the pit of our destruction:

·         When our ability to be “relational” invites intimacy where it does not belong.
·         When we multi-tasks ourselves out of giving undivided attention to our spouse or family members.
·         When our desire to nurture becomes a people-pleasing monster.
·         When Momma-bear raises adults who are incapable of taking care of themselves.
·         When our desire to be outwardly attractive becomes bondage to beauty in the form of obsession, eating disorders, and discontent.

I can’t help but think of how often Jesus has looked directly at me when I’ve betrayed Him and think about what someone may say is my strength and know that is where my pit may be. 

Oswald Chambers (“My Utmost for His Highest”) helps us understand where the undercurrent may be;

We are apt to say, “It is not at all likely that having been through the greatest crisis of my life I would now turn back to the things of the world”  Do not try to predict where the temptation will come; it is the least likely thing that is the real danger.  It is in the aftermath of a great spiritual event that the least likely things begin to have an effect.  They may not be forceful and dominant, but they are there.  And if you are not careful to be forewarned, they will trip you.”

You have remained true to God under great and intense trials – now beware of the undercurrent.  Do not be abnormally examining your inner self, looking forward with dread, but stay alert; keep your memory sharp before God.  Unguarded strength is actually a double weakness, because that is where the least likely temptations will be effective in sapping strength.  The Bible characters stumbled over their strong points, never their weak ones.”

So ladies, Never say Never.  Beware, but do not be afraid.  Be guarded; stay alert.  What do you think is your greatest strength, and how might that be used to your detriment?  What would others say about you?  Ask someone today, and pray that you would not fall into temptation (v.40)

Image result for Luke 22:40

You Might Also Like

0 comments