I Believed, So I Spoke {2 Corinthians 4}

4:29 PM


Monday Oct. 21, 2 Corinthians 4

While writing this second letter to the church in Corinth, Paul tells of the afflictions he and others endured as messengers of the Gospel. Sufferings that although slowed them, because of the mercy of God, never stopped them. No matter the consequences, they were committed to keep on preaching, “Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bondservants for Jesus’ sake.” (vs. 5) Their faith in the Lord prevented Paul and the others from keeping silent. And as fellow bondservants of Jesus, faith should have the same effect on us.

It is written: ‘I believed; therefore I have spoken.’ Since we have that same spirit of faith, we also believe and therefore speak...”(vs. 13) In this verse Paul is quoting the words of the psalmist in 116:10. Both he and Paul faced times of great distress. Yet even in the midst of hardship never did their faith in God wane. They placed all of their trust in Him and His promises. So great was their faith that the psalmist felt compelled to testify about his reliance on God alone, and Paul to testify about the saving grace of Jesus’ death and resurrection.

In Matthew 12:33 Jesus says, “the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.” No matter how hard we may try to hide, whatever is truly in our hearts will be revealed by the words we speak. Paul’s heart was filled with such faith in the Lord he declared, “IfI preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel.” (1 Cor. 9:16) That’s the kind of faith I want to have. The kind that makes me want to burst if I don’t share the Good News of Christ and all of the wonderful things God has done for me; the endless ways He has healed, comforted, strengthened, and loved a sinner like me. 

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” (1 Peter 3:15) We all have a testimony to give, and Peter tells us to be ready to share our faith and the reason for it. The Bible says one day we will all give an account for the words we speak. (Matt. 12:36) As for me the account I want to give is this, “I believed, so I spoke.”


You Might Also Like

0 comments