My Determined Purpose is to Know Him {Psalm 105}

12:04 PM

Scripture Reading: Psalm 105

What does it mean to "seek His face"?

Seeking God simply means seeking His presence. The word translated, “presence” can also be translated, “face.” Therefore, to be before His face is to be in His presence.
From reading Psalm 105 it seems the psalmist is encouraging his readers, who may be down and discouraged to seek the Lord - His presence, and it was that word presence that jumped out at me and sent me on a journey to find out why.  


Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon His name;Make known His deeds among the peoples.Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;Speak of all His wonders.Glory in His holy name;Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad. Seek the Lord and His strength;Seek His face continually. Remember… (Psalm 105:1-5a) 

Why are we encouraged to seek God's presence? I found some really encouraging verses that give us a clue into the importance of seeking Him.

Exodus 33:14 “And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Moses discovered early on that we can find rest when in His presence; not so much physical rest, but I believe a heart felt rest, from worry or anxiety. Are you ever anxious or worried about impossible tasks, or things you can't control? Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His presence... (Ps 105:4)

Genesis 28:15 “Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

Jacob knew he would find comfort, protection and provision as long as he remain in God's presence. Did you notice that our God is faithful because He swears by His own name, there is no one higher, therefore His promises cannot be impacted by our will.

Psalm 16:11 “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”

David knew that in His presence he could experience the "fullness of joy"! BUT something much more important than being filled with joy is that God will “make know to me [us] the path of life” and that speaks of eternal life, because you’re going to be enjoying God’s presence for all eternity.

Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

David also knew he didn't have to fear evil, difficult circumstances, or the 'unknown' because the Good Shepherd would be there to give him all the comfort, guidance, direction and protection he would need. Are you facing any uncertainties in your life right now?

Psalm 34:10 says, "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing." 

We will lack no GOOD thing when we seek His face continually! So why aren't we?

What hinders us and keeps us from seeking God's presence continually?


P.R.I.D.E. The greatest hindrance to seeking His presence is pride. “In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him” (Psalm 10:4). God's Word states that "He resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6)

Therefore, humility is essential to seeking the Lord.
Did you know that the greatest promise to those who seek the Lord is that He will be found?

 “If you seek him, he will be found by you” (1 Chronicles 28:9). 
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13)

AND here's the clincher, when we do seek Him, there is great reward. “Whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him” (Hebrews 11:6). 

God himself is our greatest reward, for when we have him, we truly have everything. 

Therefore, “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!” (Psalm 105:4).

You Might Also Like

0 comments