Surrender {Psalm 37}

2:03 PM





Back in July I began writing this post.  You see, I want to walk the walk I talk about.  Surrender is something that is constantly on my heart and mind.

Our first example of someone who surrenders all is Jesus.  He left His heavenly kingdom for 33 years to come here to teach us how to live a surrendered and obedient life.


 Image result for Psalm 37:5

I do not understand what I do

for what I want to do I do not do,

but what I hate to do.  Romans 7:15


This scripture verse seems to be exactly what of my lack of surrender looks like.  We all strive to read scripture and we become what we know.  But it’s a posture we have to maintain, and I hate to admit it, I seem to fall out of that posture especially in my relationships with others lately.
  
I have to learn to surrender these relationships to the Lord.  I can’t help but attempt to surrender them, but find myself trying again to make them work the way I think they should.  And I end up having hurt feelings.

I have spent a few months exploring surrender and obedience, because I believe they go hand-in-hand.  If I surrender something to God, I have to leave it in His hands.  There’s no take backs!

My bible has more dates and issues written in it next to this Psalm.  It’s been a go-to Psalm when I am struggling with letting go.  But it gives me so much reassurance when I come here because just look at what we receive when we surrender:

He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. (6)

But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy peace and prosperity. (11)

The blameless spend their days under the LORD’s care, and their inheritance will endure forever. (18)

…those the LORD blesses will inherit the land, but those He curses will be destroyed. (22)

The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in Him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with His hand.  (23-24)

I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread.  They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be a blessing. (25-26)

Turn from evil and do good, then you will dwell in the land forever.  For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake His faithful ones.  (27-28)

The righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever. (29)

The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom, and their tongues speak what is just.  The law of their God is in their hearts, their feet do not slip.  (30-31)

Hope in the LORD and keep His way.  He will exalt you to inherit the land when the wicked are destroyed, you will see it.  (34)

Consider the blameless, observe the upright, a future awaits those who seek peace.  (37)

The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD; He is their stronghold in time of trouble.  The LORD helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in Him.  (39-40)


This last verse has become my focus on the surrender of these relationships that have been difficult to let go of – God is my refuge.  He is the umbrella that protects me from my own feelings of being hurt.  He is the umbrella that protects me from my own pride when I think they should go my way.  And He will not let me fall!

Image result for Psalm 37:23-24

You Might Also Like

0 comments