A Song of Praise! {Psalm 96}

12:00 AM

Scripture Reading: Psalm 96

I used to be a kindergarten teacher. Most of those I share that bit of information with think I must have been crazy to actually want to spend hours lock in a room with anywhere from 15- 24 five year olds all at once, but I LOVE it!! And this Psalm sums up at least part of the reason I loved interacting with children that age and why God does too!
Notice:


“Oh sing to the Lord a new song;    sing to the Lord, all the earth! Sing to the Lord, bless His name;    tell of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations,    His marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised!” (Psalm 66:1-4a)

Can you see an expressive five year old reciting these verses? I can! With all the exuberance they could possible muster!! It would be practically impossible for them to remain calm- cool – and collected!

And another wonderful thing about kindergartners is they don’t care how you sound; good or bad, they’re main focus is your enthusiasm! I hope our Father is like the children in my past classes when it comes to us making a joyful noise before Him!
I haven’t had any classical training in music, but I like to think that’s not what this Psalm is all about! We’re not sure who wrote this Psalm, but I can tell you he had a heart of a five year old who wanted everyone to know our God is a great God and so worthy of our praise!  All the time!


We know life can be scary…and stressful …and sorrowful! And any five year old will tell you life can be unfair! I’m sure the psalmist knew that as well, but I love how he continues to exhort us over and over again to praise God, and not because life is always easy, but  because he wants us to see the larger picture; the great - BIG - beautiful scene God is creating in our lives when we seek to follow Him.
We have tremendous reasons to throw off all our inhibitions and come before Him like a five year old and sing to Him a new song of PRAISE! My kindergartners will be the first to tell you that it doesn’t have to be perfect, just straight from the heart!

You Might Also Like

0 comments