Dealing with Anger Over Lemonade! {Ephesians 4:17-32}

8:30 PM


 ~ Ephesians 4:17-32

Aaaaaaah done!! I looked up at the clock just as I finished washing the kitchen floor and saw that I still had a few minutes to get everything ready for my guests that were due to arrive in about 10 minutes or so.

I immediately started to put the last finishing touches on the luncheon I was hosting when my children, seizing the moment, ran into the kitchen looking for refreshments! (They knew that at this moment I’d consent to just about anything just to get them to cooperate while I was busy with friends)

JD was thirsty so I told him he could have a glass of the lemonade I had just made that was still sitting in the pitcher on the counter. Too busy to pour it myself, I went ahead and allowed him to pour it. My daughter was also looking around for something to snack on. We were lighthearted and laughing about something when suddenly I turned around only to catch JD continuing to pour lemonade from the pitcher into an overflowing cup that was now not only running all over the counter, but down onto the floor! The FLOOR I HAD JUST CLEANED!! And it was the syrupy sticky kind of lemonade from concentrate!!  

For a moment I stood there in shocked silence! I stood there motionless and stared at all the lemonade running onto my floor while JD sat there laughing at his sister and not even paying any attention to what he was doing!!

Until finally something from waaaay down within me came spewing out, “JD!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!?” He finally turned his attention back to his cup and stopped pouring, but it was too late!

I read him the riot act! Up one side and down the other! I chopped him down to peanut size until finally he stood there trying desperately to hold back his tears and said quietly, “I’m going to my room.”

And I lifted my arm with my pointer finger erect, just in case he had forgotten in which direction his bedroom was, and shouted, “GOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

JD slowly turned and walked out of the kitchen heading for the stairs and his sister silently followed right behind him. I guess she feared my wrath at that moment too and wanted to make a quick, silent exit.

I instantly felt convicted by the Holy Spirit. I not only broke my son’s heart, I’d ripped it out and crushed it to pieces!! I felt a moment of remorse, but my eyes quickly glanced back to the clock and to the sticky mess all over my clean kitchen and I immediately set to work cleaning everything up, for my guests would be arriving any minute now.

 And when they did, I slapped on my best hostess smile and went along as if nothing had happened!

Except I felt like a crumb on the inside. The Lord wasn’t going to allow me to get away with it that easily. My little ones remained quiet as little mice. I doubt my company even knew they were home, but my heart and ears were tuned into the silence coming from upstairs, and I couldn’t wait for my company to leave so I could climb those stairs and wrap my babies in my arms and beg them to forgive me.

I honestly can’t remember who came over that day, but as soon as I read, Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil… Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.  Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.  (Ephesians 4:26-27, 29-32) my mind instantly flashes a picture of those minutes in my kitchen when I crushed my son’s heart to bits. It will always be available for me to press "instant replay" in my brain.

Both of my children now have children of their own; some even older than what they were at the time. I believe they are both far better parents than I was while they were growing up! They would make any momma proud. I don’t know if they even remember that day or that incident, but I know I will never forget it; especially now after almost 30 years!

What I wonder most is:
  • What if I hadn’t run up the stairs after my last guest departed? 
  • What if I hadn’t scooped them up and begged their forgiveness? (Little ones always seem to forgive more readily than us, adults). 
  • What if I had allowed the enemy to indulge my pride and self-righteous anger and never did ask forgiveness? 
  • What if I allowed my little ones to think my guests and what they thought of me was far more important than they were and what they thought of their momma?

Our actions have rippling effects. What if I had allowed a root of bitterness to begin to form in my children? These kind of things happen, and the Bible assume that there will be times when we grow angry, (Be angry and do not sin) but it’s what we do with our anger that can make all the difference. And when and if we do become angry, we need to go as quickly as possible to make it right.

Though I don’t believe it’s ever too late. If your conscience still bothers you about something... if you have a scenario that still plays in your mind at times, stop what you’re doing and go and make it right, for it still matters to God.

Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,  leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. (Matthew 5:23-24)




You Might Also Like

0 comments