Tough First Words {Matthew 9-10}

7:30 PM


One of the greatest benefits of reading through the New Testament as we’re doing this fall is getting a clearer picture of the timeline of WHEN Jesus spoke, and not just what He said. This way we can get a better understanding of what He wanted to convey at the time.

That said, I found it really odd that Jesus is already speaking of persecution and divisions immediately after He calls His disciples and sends them out into the world.

I think if it were me, I may have waited until the men had a better footing and more experience, but I suppose Jesus wanted His men to know exactly what they’d be up against from the start and us as well.
 

“I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. (10:16) Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death.  You will be hated by everyone because of me (10:21-22a) Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.  But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.  For I have come to turn, “‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
     a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 
Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. (Mt 10:34-39)

I wonder if some of His disciples were having second thoughts at that moment.

We’re going to see that some of what Jesus came to teach us is tough, like much of what we read in chapter 10. Why would the Prince of Peace say that He did not come to bring peace? Doesn’t Jesus say in other verses that he came to bring peace?
Actually yes, but He also wants His followers to understand that conflicts, even with family members, could happen because we’ve chosen to follow Him, and we know from history that the 1st Century Christians faced fierce persecution, and many still do today!

Following Jesus can cause divisions in families and friendships, and I believe He wanted to make it clear that He expects our full allegiance to Him over ­others or other earthly pursuit right at the onset of our newly found faith. Our loyalty to and love for Christ must take precedence over everything else. Following Jesus requires all of you—all that you have and are, and all that you will become. (Deut. 6:4-7)

 Are you currently living in a divided home?  Have you lost friends over the years because of your faith? Peter offers us advise in 1 Peter 3:1-6 in which he basically tells us the very best way to win them to Christ is by living totally for Jesus before them.
Living for Jesus and keeping our focus wholly on Him will give us the peace in the midst of our circumstances and a joy that no one could explain apart from Him.

Jesus wants us to understand that this life we have chosen won't always be easy, but what it will come down to is, who we're trying to please as we travel through it. When we reach the end of this life, who will we want to be there, ready to welcome us home? Ready with a, “Well done…”? And ready to reward us with an incorruptible inheritance that no man can truly comprehend? (1Cor 2:9)

You Might Also Like

0 comments